Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

And that is why sub machine guns while an issue item were not kept. The idea was self defense after a bail out or in lager.

Inside a tank there was no room, ergo the pistols.

Most of the time they would have been camped with infantry, carbine good enough and a lot easier to shoot well.

My grand father was a Sherman tanker from 41 to 45. He had 5 tanks knocked out from under him. The first in North Africa hit a land mine. He was sitting in the commanders hatch and was blown clear. No one else in the crew made it. The others were , track shot off twice, main gun hit and cut in half. Turrent strike did not penetrate but turrent was stuck. He only talked about initially carrying a revolver and later a 1911. I never heard him say much about any long gun. He had Some experience unassing Shermans and bugging out. On the main gun and stuck turrent they drove out. He was 28 when he joined in early 41. All of his crew members called him Gramps.

This thread migrated. LOL
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I'm blaming it on Merc and he started the thread so it's legal. lol

Sorry guys. Things have a way of drifting away from the original subject. This has happened to several of my threads, but never this bad. Subs, pistols and tanks?

How about getting back on track by posting some photos of your M1917s on this thread. IMHO M1917s are the among the best looking rifles that were ever made. I'll start if I can just find my camera.
    Last edited by Merc; 01-08-2017 at 06:01.

[QUOTE=Merc;483934]Sorry guys. Things have a way of drifting away from the original subject. This has happened to several of my threads, but never this bad. Subs, pistols and tanks?

How about getting back on track by posting some photos of your M1917s on this thread. IMHO M1917s are the among the best looking rifles that were ever made. I'll start if I can just find my camera.[/QUOTE

Um I'm picking up a P14 tonight that was made at the Eddystone plant. I'll post of pick of it beside my Eddystone M1917 and get us back on track....but I don't think anyone minds if guys talking about subs, pistols, and tanks. Better than politics any old day.

True. The only thing better than a pic of a M1917 rifle is a vintage pic of a dough boy holding one.

Ipad Photos 097.jpgIpad Photos 098.jpgIpad Photos 099.jpgIpad Photos 100.jpgIpad Photos 101.jpg

My Model of 1917 (November, 1917) Winchester rifle and bayonet.
    Last edited by Merc; 01-08-2017 at 09:56.