Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

My M1917 has been used in 200 yard local competitions. The only period correct gun I own that bests it is a Swede in 6.5 X 55 and not by much. Mine is a Eddstone lend leased to Canada during WW2.

My grand father was a Sherman tanker from 41 to 45. He had 5 tanks knocked out from under him. The first in North Africa hit a land mine. He was sitting in the commanders hatch and was blown clear. No one else in the crew made it. The others were , track shot off twice, main gun hit and cut in half. Turrent strike did not penetrate but turrent was stuck. He only talked about initially carrying a revolver and later a 1911. I never heard him say much about any long gun. He had Some experience unassing Shermans and bugging out. On the main gun and stuck turrent they drove out. He was 28 when he joined in early 41. All of his crew members called him Gramps.
    Last edited by p246; 01-05-2017 at 06:54.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    My M1917 has been used in 200 yard local competitions. The only period correct gun I own that bests it is a Swede in 6.5 X 55 and not by much. Mine is a Eddstone lend leased to Canada during WW2.

My grand father was a Sherman tanker from 41 to 45. He had 5 tanks knocked out from under him. The first in Noth Africa hit a land mine. He was sitting in the commanders hatch and was blow clear. No one else in the crew made it. The others were , track shot off twice, main gun hit and cut in half. Turrent strike did not penetrate but turrent was stuck. He only talked about initially carrying a revolver and later a 1911. I never heard him say much about any long gun. He had Some experience unassing Shermans and bugging out. On they main gun and stuck turrent they drove out. He was 28 when he joined in early 41. All of his crew members called him Gramps.

Great story. Sherman tanks were badly outgunned by the Germans. Glad to hear he made it out of the tanks and survived the war. Do you have any photos of him in his uniform? Post photos of the rifles too, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Great story. Sherman tanks were badly outgunned by the Germans. Glad to hear he made it out of the tanks and survived the war. Do you have any photos of him in his uniform? Post photos of the rifles too, if possible.
    My mom has a photo of him with my grandmother and my Uncle when he was a baby. I'll try and get a scan of it. The shoulder patch on his uniform at the time was a black panther biting a set of tank tracks. I should remember his unit but it escapes me right now.

4. Default

The shoulder patch on his uniform at the time was a black panther biting a set of tank tracks.
    Tank Destroyer, not tank.

Tank_Destroyer_Forces_(unofficial)_logo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    He moved units from 41 to 45. He was moved to a Tank Destroyer unit sometime in 1945. He spent most of his career in Shermans, but started training in Grants and ended in a tank destroyer unit. He liked the speed of the tank destroyers but still felt a little naked in them. His words not mine. The photo I'm speaking of was taken in 1945 while on leave. I don't know of any photos that exist of him in uniform prior to this one. I know he participated in combat in Africa, Sicily, and Europe. All of his loaders were nicknamed shorty, that story I remember.

He passed in 1979. I was young and wished I had paid more attention when he talked about his military career.
    Last edited by p246; 01-05-2017 at 06:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    My dad's insurance man was an ordnance enlisted army troop in WW-2 and had his pick of guns and usually carried a carbine but after mis-laying his third one on Okinawa, the master sergeant handed him a 1917 and said, "Here's something harder to lose. You lose this one, you will be unarmed."
    He moved units from 41 to 45. He was moved to a Tank Destroyer unit sometime in 1945. He spent most of his career in Shermans, but started training in Grants and ended in a tank destroyer unit. He liked the speed of the tank destroyers but still felt a little naked in them. His words not mine. The photo I'm speaking of was taken in 1945 while on leave. I don't know of any photos that exist of him in uniform prior to this one. I know he participated in combat in Africa, Sicily, and Europe. All of his loaders were nicknamed shorty, that story I remember.

He passed in 1979. I was young and wished I had paid more attention when he talked about his military career.
    You're lucky he was willing to talk about the war. So many vets with great stories to tell were often reluctant to share them with their families because it sometimes meant they had to dig up some terrible life and death memories.

You're lucky he was willing to talk about the war. So many vets with great stories to tell were often reluctant to share them with their families because it sometimes meant they had to dig up some terrible life and death memories.
    He talked about the funny stuff with his second crew, never talked about first crew or hitting the land mine. That was related to me by Uncle and Mother. He told me several times he had 5 tanks knocked out from under him. He would only really talk about the main gun being hit (he'd giggle and said it looked like a cigar been shot with a BB gun). Said it was more torn off than shot off. He also talked about the hit against the turrent base. It took a chunk out of the turrent and damaged to top of the tank just under the turrent hit. This strike caused the turrent to immediately stick. He said the strike area got hot and made the inside of the tank smelled "even worse". With a stuck turrent they backed out and RTB.

When he talked about first tank (landmind) he would just say the tank was shot out from under him. On the onther two he'd just say a track got shot off and put us to foot.

He only related one direct fight which was in ITALY. The were leading a 50 man Infantry patrol on a narrow mountain road, As they rounded a corner 50 to 75 yards away was a Panzer III with its own infantry in support. He said it was over in a few seconds. Shorty loaded a round, and the gunner got it out. The shot was good and the Panzer was destroyed. There was some small arms fire but the Germans fell back when they lost their armor and had no room to maneuver.
    Last edited by p246; 01-06-2017 at 10:16.

He talked about the funny stuff with his second crew, never talked about first crew or hitting the land mine. That was related to me by Uncle and Mother. He told me several times he had 5 tanks knocked out from under him. He would only really talk about the main gun being hit (he'd giggle and said it looked like a cigar been shot with a BB gun). Said it was more torn off than shot off. He also talked about the hit against the turrent base. It took a chunk out of the turrent and damaged to top of the tank just under the turrent hit. This strike caused the turrent to immediately stick. He said the strike area got hot and made the inside of the tank smelled "even worse". With a stuck turrent they backed out and RTB.

When he talked about first tank (landmind) he would just say the tank was shot out from under him. On the onther two he'd just say a track got shot off and put us to foot.

He only related one direct fight which was in ITALY. The were leading a 50 man Infantry patrol on a narrow mountain road, As they rounded a corner 50 to 75 yards away was a Panzer III with its own infantry in support. He said it was over in a few seconds. Shorty loaded a round, and the gunner got it out. The shot was good and the Panzer was destroyed. There was some small arms fire but the Germans fell back when they lost their armor and had no room to maneuver.
    You should consider becoming your dad's voice and tell all the stories your dad told you to your family members. Write them down so that they can be passed down to future generations. He gave you a great gift.

You should consider becoming your dad's voice and tell all the stories your dad told you to your family members. Write them down so that they can be passed down to future generations. He gave you a great gift.
    Easy there grandpa not dad, but Dad was in the 9th Division (Old Faithful) in Vietanam. Air Mobile Artillery, but that's another story��.

Easy there grandpa not dad, but Dad was in the 9th Division (Old Faithful) in Vietanam. Air Mobile Artillery, but that's another story��.
    Quite a military family. I'm the historian in my family and recorded as many genealogical details as I could before they were lost to time. Had lots of fun doing it.