Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    The M-1917 was a very well thought out rifle. Ideal battle sights. Superior caliber... .30-06 was the queen of the battlefield for at least three wars. Accurate beyond a fault. Your on target results are not atypical. With good ammo and proper shooting technique, a M-1917 in good shape will produce extremely good scores at the range... and excellent results in the field. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    For a non infantry guy that would be punishment and well deserved. How to you loose 3 carbines? Probably selling them to others. Trading maybe.

Reports and pictures back up showed that upwards of half the European Infantry by 1944 were armed with Thomson or other 45 caliber machine guns.

Some carried Schmiesers (yes I now that's wrong name) but ammo was an issue and the mistaken sounds not always a good idea though I don't know if it was an issue with that gun.

the 45 caliber sub machine guns were issued to tank crews in numbers (what they were supposed to do with them somewhat a mystery but...)
    Mostly they just got the hell out, a pistol would have been fine, not like they were going to fight their way out of anything very successfully.

Garand's while a great longer distance gun was not handy for village and urban combat. Ergo a good mix.

Good history stuff, love it.
    The more I read, the more I learn. Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    For a non infantry guy that would be punishment and well deserved. How to you loose 3 carbines? Probably selling them to others. Trading maybe.

Reports and pictures back up showed that upwards of half the European Infantry by 1944 were armed with Thomson or other 45 caliber machine guns.

Some carried Schmiesers (yes I now that's wrong name) but ammo was an issue and the mistaken sounds not always a good idea though I don't know if it was an issue with that gun.

the 45 caliber sub machine guns were issued to tank crews in numbers (what they were supposed to do with them somewhat a mystery but...)
    Mostly they just got the hell out, a pistol would have been fine, not like they were going to fight their way out of anything very successfully.

Garand's while a great longer distance gun was not handy for village and urban combat. Ergo a good mix.

Good history stuff, love it.
    No mystery at all. Subguns were on tanks to repel boarders.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 12-23-2016 at 12:10.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Default Thompsons

Earl.germany.1945_edited-1.jpg My cousin was in an ordnance/heavy repair company from D+1 to Berchtesgaden. He said everyone in the company had a Thompson. Moving through Holland, one fella jumped off the back of their deuce and a half and shot out his own guts because the gun wasn't on "safe."

My neighbor's dad returned home from WW2 with two Thompson subs. He has no idea what became of them. Not an easy gun to shoot.

I had a beautiful Winchester M17 and I liked it a lot. When I got the Canadian it shot so well I sold the Winch. I recently got a 1903, the first I have owned. Sorry to say, even with five different kinds of ways to sight with it, I couldn't see to shoot it. I sold it. I'll never sell my M17.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    I had a beautiful Winchester M17 and I liked it a lot. When I got the Canadian it shot so well I sold the Winch. I recently got a 1903, the first I have owned. Sorry to say, even with five different kinds of ways to sight with it, I couldn't see to shoot it. I sold it. I'll never sell my M17.
    The '17s had a lot going for it. Big, strong action, accurate shooter, etc. I enjoy taking my '17 to the range since it's lots of fun to shoot. I have no trouble hitting 100 yard targets with the rear sight ladder at the lowest setting. My range also has a 200 yard target but I don't waste the ammo. These old eyes can barely see the target at 100 yards.

I have a minty 03-A3 that I also enjoy shooting although the front sight blade is thin and can make the targets difficult to acquire at times. Took some getting used to.

I also have an 03-A3 and it is also "not for sale". This one has been modified for a Lyman sight set, front and back. Glass bedded and Timney trigger. I wouldn't call it Bubba'd. I don't care for thin front sites. My 17 has a Canadian modifcation. They installed a plain old roll pin in the front. It's just what I like.
    _DSC9793.jpg

Dryheat, your roll pin front sight is generally thought to be a Danish modification. They were given 38,000 '17s in 1953 by the Canadians for home guard use. Other Dane markings are neatly stamped (usually mismatched) serials on the bolt handles. Serials and some lettering on stocks. Sometimes a decal showing 'hold off' points is present also. They also ground the follower to allow closing while empty in drills.
    Original Canadian broad arrow stamp and remnants of a painted red band should also be present on the stock.

Edit: Above info from Nick Ferris book on the '17

Also a sample thread from many around the web.
    http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=14422
    Last edited by pickax; 01-04-2017 at 05:49. Reason: additions

Thanks. I was a little vague on where it had been. I actually thought it was Brit and then sent to Canada. It has [mismatched] red paint and the modified follower. Mismatched numbers on the bolt. I have looked for a broad arrow, but have never seen it. 30-06 is painted on the side of the stock. I like it because it is accurate and has a little history. I initially bought it just for the wood. It has some very striking figure towards the back of the butt stock.

Well, absent the Canadian stock stamp, which could of been sanded, the Danes also received Brit rifles via Norway around the same time.
    These should have Brit proof markings on receiver and barrel under hand guard though. The Brits did mark caliber with red paint also.
    Some suggest the roll pin was used on the more accurate rifles for match use by Danish home guard.