Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
The M-1917 was a very well thought out rifle. Ideal battle sights. Superior caliber... .30-06 was the queen of the battlefield for at least three wars. Accurate beyond a fault. Your on target results are not atypical. With good ammo and proper shooting technique, a M-1917 in good shape will produce extremely good scores at the range... and excellent results in the field. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
For a non infantry guy that would be punishment and well deserved. How to you loose 3 carbines? Probably selling them to others. Trading maybe.

Reports and pictures back up showed that upwards of half the European Infantry by 1944 were armed with Thomson or other 45 caliber machine guns.

Some carried Schmiesers (yes I now that's wrong name) but ammo was an issue and the mistaken sounds not always a good idea though I don't know if it was an issue with that gun.

the 45 caliber sub machine guns were issued to tank crews in numbers (what they were supposed to do with them somewhat a mystery but...)
Mostly they just got the hell out, a pistol would have been fine, not like they were going to fight their way out of anything very successfully.

Garand's while a great longer distance gun was not handy for village and urban combat. Ergo a good mix.

Good history stuff, love it.
The more I read, the more I learn. Thanks