Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Quote Originally Posted by Z4MIL View Post
    Depending on temperatures and conditions my choices on military match rifles are between my 1917 Remington with HS barrel or Smith Corona 03A3 in a C stock. The colder days the SC likes light bullets and on the warmer days the 1917 with 168 or 175 works well. The unmarked targets are 1st round and composite from Novembers match with the SC.
    Attachment 40880Attachment 40881Attachment 40882Attachment 40883Attachment 40884
    Nice shooting. All from 100 yards? Are the bullets you use boat tails or flat base? FMJ or some other point?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I shot the M1917 Winchester at a 100 yard target from a solid one piece shooting rest someone gave me. No elevation springs or tie down mechanisms. The rifle is held in a normal shouldered position while it is on the shooting rest. The results weren't too bad and will hopefully improve with some practice.

I have another shooting rest that does have an elevation spring and a muzzle tie down and it jumps around a lot from the recoil.
    Last edited by Merc; 06-09-2017 at 04:01.

3. Default

Nice shooting! Took my 1918 Eddystone to the range today and with 155gr Nosler HPBT bullets had a 2.2" 5-shot group at 100 yards. With my near 69 year old eyes, the old Eddystone is a gem.

Just to add a little background on my November 1918 Eddystone Rifle. It has a 1-1918 Eddystone barrel with a lovely bore and crown. It spent the last 40 plus years in an attic with a deteriorating plastic wrapper and desiccating cosmoline all over. There was some very superficial minimal rust under the hand guards that responded well to ballistrol and fine steel wool with no pitting to my eyes when it finally came to me. Happily a wife refused to allow the rifle anymore time in her home.

It has mixed parts and was reworked after WWII (by stock stamp) It doesn’t look like it saw much firing, perhaps the barrel was a late replacement. I wish someone knew its history and story how it got to the attic etc and what service it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LouB; 10-29-2017 at 05:53. Reason: Additional info

I enjoy shooting my M1917 Winchester and my other old rifles (Remington 03-A3 and Savage Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1*) but will have to wait for a couple months before I can shoot anything again. I need to recover from right rotator cuff surgery I had about 5 weeks ago.

My fellow shooters at the range with their scoped rifles are always amazed at the accuracy I can achieve with my M1917 with its open sight. The rear sight on mine is spot-on target at 100 yards at the lowest possible setting. I reload and seem to do well using 150 gr Sierra or Hornady FMJ-BT. The places where I buy my shooting and reloading supplies carry mostly fully loaded 30-06 SP and rarely stock any quantity of fully loaded FMJ BT, and that's the reason I'd rather reload my own.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-18-2017 at 08:25.

Update 5/21/18: I had my Winchester M1917 at the range the other day. I believe it was the first time since rotator cuff surgery in July, 2017. The first group was a bit loose with all 6 rounds in a 12 inch circle. The second group was in a 6 inch circle. I’ll keep up the range time and hopefully improve. It’s a joy shooting this 100 year old was horse. As usual, the rifle attracts attention and I always seem to make a few new friends at the range.
    Last edited by Merc; 05-21-2018 at 12:51.