Thread: "Inexpensive" M1911 guide?

Hybrid View

Default "Inexpensive" M1911 guide?

I'm writing an article of our state shooting group's magazine on gathering a small library of authoritative books on U.S. military firearms. I admit I'm sort of stuck on the M1911. Until it went out of print a few years ago, the answer would have been easy -- Clawson's "small" book on the M1911, back when you could get it for $35 or so. Obviously, the current price is in the stratosphere.

I know that Poyer's book on the M1911 has some detractors, so I'm not sure about including that one. Anyone suggest a couple of authoritative, relatively inexpensive and available books on the M1911?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Rick,
    Even the bible has some detractors. Excluding it from your list based on a few detractors is like demanding perfection. Clawson's books come very close to that, but they are all out of print and sell for hundreds of dollars and up. Poyer's book is the best value out there. Meadows' two volumes on the 1911 and 1911A1 have all of the important information but it is hard to find it due to the way they are organized and they are also (I believe) out of print. For the advanced collector, having all of these books is necessary, but Poyer's book at under $40 is hands down the best first book for anyone to start with.
    Best Karl

That's what I want to know. Thanks, Karl.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

4. Default

Especially for the current pricing / value, I second Karl's opinion on Poyer. I wouldn't hesitate to include it in the list.