Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FCPDAVE View Post
    It shoots about 5" at 50 yds. I've been looking at old sporter stocks, thinking that I might want to see how well it can shoot with the Criterion bbl. and some bedding. Gunsmith thinks I'm nuts to think that someone might want to do that. But, short of another butt plate, I have enough R and E parts to outfit a cut down military stock.

Pickax - while searching online for a sporter stock, I found one that the seller said was marked OGEK, and it was. He described it as a 1917 stock tough the picture showed a magic markered 03 A3 (it was an '03).
    Ogden under Elmer Keith, and Ed Klouser did rebuild '17s for WWII My mixmaster Eddystone is an example.
    Give us a report on your sporter conversion when you finish it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Dave,

At the end of the day, I think FCPDave just wants all his rifles to have good bores and is willing to pay to accomplish this goal. He says he does shoot them so it might be worth it to shoot the '17 with a new barrel. He already has the replacement, so why not try it?

My early '17 Winchester came with a very minty barrel and I do enjoy shooting it. The degree of accuracy it achieves at 100 yards with the original open sights is amazing and probably comparable to a new rifle. Now, replacing a military stock on a '17 with a sporter isn't something I'd do, but that's just me.

Merc

Well as I am primarily a collector I guess I was only thinking about value. If he was using a military barrel that would be different, even tho it would not be original, rifles were rebuilt. But as I said 'just me'. Threw it out there as something to think about.
    You can never go home again.

Don't worry - the rifle won't be ruined or anything like that. The W barrel will stay with the rifle. If I get a sporter stock, it will be low dollar with my extra parts, and only to shoot to check how well it can shoot. That stock will stay with the rifle also, as well as the orig. sling and a Can. marked bayonet/scabbard.

I can understand collecting these rifles w/o regard to bore condition though since more than a few friends said I was crazy to want to change out the barrel just to make it shoot better. Thinking back, I wish that I had concentrated on just a few interesting rifles. Here I am with 7.7 Jap., 6.5 Carcano, 8mm Mauser, 30.06, .30 40 Krag, 45.70, 7.62 NATO, 5.56 NATO, .303 Brit., 7.5 French, 7.5 Swiss, 8mm rimmed, 7.62x39, 7.62x54 and .30 Carbine - just for rifles. I was working my way around the world. Now I can't even decide what to shoot. Not a good plan after all.

Impressive collection. If you're reconsidering replacing the barrel, I'd pick out a few of the rifles that are in the best shape and let those be the ones that you take to the range. It's always more fun when you can actually hit what you're aiming for. Both groups have value. Rifles with worn bolt lugs and shot-out barrels have a history to consider. How valuable would any rifle be if it was used in a major battle even if it's no longer capable of shooting accurately?

Head space gauges aren't expensive and there are simple ways to measure throat wear mentioned throughout this forum that will help you to determine the condition of your rifles. Let the worn rifles become the wall hangers.

Merc
    Last edited by Merc; 07-26-2016 at 05:30. Reason: Adding more thoughts

BIG PROBLEM - After I bought the Criterion bbl., I took everything to the gunsmith. Yesterday I stopped by and he gave everything back to me saying that because of a clarification of some sort of rules (he is FFL folder) he is not able to install my bbl. He said that he would need a manufacturer's license to set the head space (it's short chambered) and it's too expensive for the work he does (he is a part time gunsmith). Does this sound right? I sent an email to Criterion but haven't heard back yet. Originally, he told me that he's done a no. of these and he wrote a work order for it. Previously he built a nice AK for me so he knows that I pay my bills w/o complaint.

Dave,

There are gunsmiths who frequently post on this forum and maybe one will see your latest post and respond. I would ask a major gun dealer in your area (i.e. Cabela's, Gander Mountain, etc.) if they can recommend a reputable gunsmith and see if he would be willing to handle your job.

Merc

Boy that is the first I ever heard of that. I know quite a few gunsmiths and none of them had a problem changing out a barrel. He did not make the barrel and is only putting it on your rifle. Then he finish reams it and checks the head space and your good to go. That would be like a mechanic putting new plugs or replacement parts on your car. Same thing as far as I can see. I have never heard of ATF declaring anything like that and most if not all gunsmiths have FFL's. I wonder if he thinks the old wives tale about 1917 barrels cracking the receiver when a new barrel is installed? See if you can get hold of Chuckindenver. He has changed many many 1917 barrels. He hangs around here on the forums some days.

8. Default

I once had a gunsmith tell me that if I brought him an action only, he could not install a barrel because that would constitute manufacturing. However if I brought him a barreled action and had him rebarrel it, that was only a repair not a manufacturing effort. That was a long time ago. Maybe it is how the particular gunsmith interprets the regulations or his local ATF agency sees it.
    FWIW

9. Default

New Obama/BATF Executive Order making ALL Gunsmiths into "Manufacturers" if they drill, tap or cut on a barrel - must get a $2275 yearly license and register as if they were an Arms Exporter, with complete records. Obama is the Gift that Keeps on Giving! He figured a way to get rid of a LOT of gunsmiths! CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

That makes gunsmiths manufacturers if all they're doing is replacing a barrel since reaming is required. Add that to the long list of Obama disasters.