Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Barrel replacement comments (Win. / Criterion)

Hi,
    I'm seriously considering replacing the W bbl. on my Win. 1917 with a Criterion bbl. My rifle is a Lend Lease (Canada, Denmark) with a not so hot bore. I have almost all W parts (hobby) but the bolt doesn't numbers match and I'm not sure the bbl. is original. The index lines line up but in small nos. there is a 106xxx on the bbl. though the recvr. is 99xxx. No tool marks on the bbl.. When I got it, the recvr. was poorly parked, though the bbl. has no trace of parking. It looks nice, thanks to my taking the liberty of painting the rec'vr. to match the bbl. Even the butt sling swivel screw is hollow. But - I can't get over the bore issue. My 03's all have nice bores, though it bothers me that one looks really nice with a new bbl. - but low serial no. It's marked OGEK. Any one care to comment (except on my mental issue with the bore)?
    Thanks,
    Dave

PS my local gunsmith has done these before and has the tools.

Interesting conundrum Dave. I have some questions about your rifle description first. The Canadians purchased rifles in 1940, then gave to the Danes after the war. Later imported by CAI in the '60s. OGEK rebuilds were during WWII, so a OGEK stock would be wrong for the time period. Also, I would think the American arsenals would replace a poor barrel and park it along with the receiver.
    The above leads me to think someone other than the Government has altered the rifle. In that case, a new barrel to give the old girl a new life sounds like a good plan.
    A question for more experienced members. Were Winchester barrels numbered to a receiver? I can't find a reference to it in Ferris' book, and doubt it, but?

Hi,
    My comment about the OGEK marked low number '03 was in the context that all of my 03's have nice or better bbl's. and the 1917 bugs me because it doesn't. Unfortunately, that OGEK with the low serial no. won't be fired, despite it's new bbl.

The 1917 stock is marked PWR for Prince of Wales Rifles and only had traces of red paint it. It also came with an old leather service sling (brass hooks). I've read that CAI removed the bolts and shipped the rifles w/o them in order to save on import fees (parts vs firearms). May or may not be true.

I ordered the Criterion bbl. and will keep the W barrel. Wish I knew what those 106xxx numbers on the barrel are.

Dave

My bad on the Stock, I misread that. Ferris' book mentions the bolt separation from the rifles during import also, so likely true. Mine is a mismatch also, but luckily is a W bolt at least. Hard to say who would park just the receiver though, mystery of life I guess.
    A lot of folks discount these rifles heavily due to the import stamp, but it doesn't bother me in this case. Just adds to the provenance.
    Maybe someone will still comment on the barrel, in the mean time, enjoy the new one!

5. Default

My first question is always, how does it shoot now? I've seen some pretty bad bores shoot very well with ammo they liked... CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    My first question is always, how does it shoot now? I've seen some pretty bad bores shoot very well with ammo they liked... CC
    Dave,

CC has a good point. Assuming your M1917 safe to shoot, try firing it a few times and see how accurate it is. A barrel with worn lands may also have throat and/or muzzle erosion which will affect accuracy.

Merc

It shoots about 5" at 50 yds. I've been looking at old sporter stocks, thinking that I might want to see how well it can shoot with the Criterion bbl. and some bedding. Gunsmith thinks I'm nuts to think that someone might want to do that. But, short of another butt plate, I have enough R and E parts to outfit a cut down military stock.

Pickax - while searching online for a sporter stock, I found one that the seller said was marked OGEK, and it was. He described it as a 1917 stock tough the picture showed a magic markered 03 A3 (it was an '03).

Dave,

Hobbies are rarely cheap and part of the fun is meeting the challenges that present themselves. People who own and restore old cars would understand perfectly. If a new barrel satisfies you, then I say go for it. Find yourself a gunsmith that thinks like you.

Merc

You said you would not fire it, despite the new barrel, so why bother and pay for it? I have been collecting old military rifles for years, many have original barrels which are in bad condition. That's part of the game, when I buy something I need for collection now, I don't even glance at the bore. Do little shooting anymore but if I do I have enough good bores to choose from. I may have 50-60 .22 RF in collection also, never look at those bores either have only one with a rough bore, made in 1920's before 'Kleen Bore' ammo. The general condition tho is excellent.
    But that's just the way I look at it.
    But you have already bought the barrel so I think your mind is made up and you are just looking for confirmation.
    Last edited by dave; 07-13-2016 at 07:16.
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    You said you would not fire it, despite the new barrel, so why bother and pay for it? I have been collecting old military rifles for years, many have original barrels which are in bad condition. That's part of the game, when I buy something I need for collection now, I don't even glance at the bore. Do little shooting anymore but if I do I have enough good bores to choose from. I may have 50-60 .22 RF in collection also, never look at those bores either have only one with a rough bore, made in 1920's before 'Kleen Bore' ammo. The general condition tho is excellent.
    But that's just the way I look at it.
    But you have already bought the barrel so I think your mind is made up and you are just looking for confirmation.
    Dave,

At the end of the day, I think FCPDave just wants all his rifles to have good bores and is willing to pay to accomplish this goal. He says he does shoot them so it might be worth it to shoot the '17 with a new barrel. He already has the replacement, so why not try it?

My early '17 Winchester came with a very minty barrel and I do enjoy shooting it. The degree of accuracy it achieves at 100 yards with the original open sights is amazing and probably comparable to a new rifle. Now, replacing a military stock on a '17 with a sporter isn't something I'd do, but that's just me.

Merc
    Last edited by Merc; 07-14-2016 at 05:27. Reason: Spelling error - damn autocorrect