Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

No problem.

It always boils down to the dogs. The honest guns. The ones nobody wants. Those tell the story. Nobody corrects dogs. Nobody spent money on dogs.

Two last points before I close this thread down for me.

1) "Of the pattern as made at Springfield." Muskets. The ways they specified the gun tells the model. It's in the book. That last one never had model listed. Why? "Current." When reviewing the manufacturing reports if no model is listed they are likely referencing the latest. So "1,260 rear sights" will likely be what's current. Else they'll typically specify.
    2) "Good enough prevents the purchase of what's wanted." If somebody doesn't have a hammer you can probably talk them into a nice Estwing. If they have a crappy wooden handle Chinese hammer it's harder. "I already have a hammer. That one is nicer but not nicer enough to spend money." So when somebody has something they're a lot less likely to spend coin on new. If they have nothing then they will. New boat? "The one I have sucks but it does the job." A sight which is slightly off is better than no sight at all. Why bother upgrading? Value to that is low. 1898 bases aren't perfect but they existed. Spend for new when you have one which is close? "Don't bother." This also affects the dogs. If somebody buys a crappy military rifle out of a barrel they're unlikely to upgrade from one barrel mounted sight to another - even if it's "better." A receiver mounted one maybe but not a different barrel mounted one. Unless it's free anyway. Frugal 101 right? Make due.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking, but mightn't all that would have been needed in order to use the 1898 bases have been a thicker on the bottom range slide? Maybe not be exact on the trajectory change, but close enough to have made use of them rather than make all new 1902 bases.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

VERY interesting theory, Bob.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking, but mightn't all that would have been needed in order to use the 1898 bases have been a thicker on the bottom range slide? Maybe not be exact on the trajectory change, but close enough to have made use of them rather than make all new 1902 bases.
    Yes, that would work. It's also quite smart.

Let's get down to brass tacks on the impact just to illuminate what we're talking about though. Page 60 of the DRM, 1901 edition, has ordinates of trajectory. Let's deal with battle ranges. The sight resting on it's base generally will give us that as they were clear in the 1905 board that the sights in the resting position had a "blank space" of 500 yards easy. In other words aim the gun at a target at 500 yards and you'll hit anyone between.

Ordinates for 500 yards:
    100: 2.36
    200: 3.82
    300: 4.12
    400: 2.98
    500: 0

That's for the 2,000fps cartridge. So 2200fps would result in a maximum variation of what? 4 inches at extreme? Normal bullet drift for the rifle exceeds that for 500 yards.

The difference is perhaps mathematically significant but from a practical point of view?

The other gun in the inventory at that time:
    100: 5.1
    200: 7.9
    300: 8.4
    400: 5.7
    500: 0

Then we get to powder quality in the 1890s and early 20th century. Variation in velocity between lots is likely enough to make two rifles with bog standard 1902 sights vary the same amount as the 1902 top on the 1898 bottom.

Mountains out of molehills.

Which really does illuminate why they simply didn't get worked up the first two times sights were wrong. They're weren't wrong in any fashion that was going to matter. Blunt would get worked up. Mordecai? Look at the 1892 and you really do get the answer. Phipps? Mordecai school.

I already have a sample size of two. The only way to tell is to take a look at what is out there. Theory and books aren't going to help. Either they're observed in numbers or they are not. If they are seen, it happened. If they're strangely absent, that's telling. Then we'll see if the two I have are corner cases.

Interesting sidebar: ever seen the yellow sticker on the butt of a Swedish Mauser? Guess what that is for....
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 07-01-2016 at 12:25.

5. Default

Which is which?

Which is which WHAT?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Which is which WHAT?
    One of those is on the 1898R base. The other is on the 1902R base. Both sitting on a glass counter as is the camera. I reversed them in the second photo just so perspective was equal.

So I'm wondering if anyone can even tell which is which?

Would this be a bad time to mention that the height difference on the 1902/1902 between the U and the peep is considerably in excess of the height difference in the U notch on the two sights?

Adds a bit of real world view to the theory. That's the massive difference in height between the two.

My curiosity increased, I took two 1896R sights (both graduations), an 1901R, the 1902/1902R, and the 1898/1902R and set them all for 1600. Which is about max difference. That proved very interesting. Give it a try. Even just with the two 1896R sights and a 1901R.

Madsens solution would work. The point I'm making is? Why bother?

====

Yes, this has been done to death. Now the dogs need to be examined.

====

Madsen, that was smart. I gave that some thought. A small brass washer on the front screw below the sight. It'd pretty much be dead on at every elevation.

Why bother though. It didn't bother them in reverse when they hopped up the round and that "invalidated" a lot more sights.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 07-01-2016 at 12:29.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Excellent response. Thank you.

It should also be noted that most (all?) of the "non-corrected sight issues" would produce a low shot, which at the longer ranges was always preferable due to the possibility of wounding by ricochet, since a wounded soldier is a greater burden to your (civilized) adversary than a dead one.
    So I appreciate you playing devil's advocate. Makes me use the noggin.

Context. One of the things I wanted to do in the book is include context. Without that it gets real myopic on the technology and technology rarely drives decisions. Money drives decisions. Politics drives decisions. Technology only after those are met.

1861. The private makers were eliminated. 1 of 2 armories is gone immediately. The shortage of guns was keenly felt. On both sides. Fremont is well known for doing whatever he could to arm his troops. The O.D. had kittens but he was effective. After all was said and done Justice took a hit for the gimpy arms he tossed together in a hurry but a review of the documents at the time paints an entirely different picture.

Let's not for a moment forget that the unpleasantness of 1861-1865 was ever present. Most of those in senior positions had experienced it.

The SpanAm War shows serious weaknesses in the U.S. military establishment. More specifically the Army. The Navy came out of that war smelling like a rose. The Army? Not so much. The food thing really crimped the QM and the Krag/Trapdoor thing really crimped the O.D.. The States were heard from. That their boys were given altered muskets which, due to the smoke, they couldn't even use rankled. Especially when the regulars had smokeless powder arms. Effectively that seriously reduced the number of troops on our side given many were told not to shoot the old Long Toms.

The Mauser, rightly or wrongly, came as a shock. The truly obscene history of the board which selected the Krag was still in people's minds. I know this as it came up. Repeatedly. Washington grilled the O.D. and the Army in general. Wholesale changes were in order. One of the items they focussed on was the "hidebound" old officers. During the reorganization of the Army hearings Addlebrain Buffington testified. While he's trying to tell Congress that it's hard to get rid of old inefficient officers he's completely oblivious. No social skills. No self-awareness. This gets ahead but WW1 was a carbon copy in many ways and, I chuckle, the first thing they did at the start of War 2 is retire the ancient ones. Right out of the gate. Yes, I know you're old. As am I in many ways. I still chuckle. Send the foggies out to pasture.

So the O.D. was under great pressure. They lost their independence in so many ways. The 1905 field gear was selected by the General Staff, not the O.D.. A direct result.

No let's get back to the bipolar nature of the O.D.. On one hand, every regular is supposed to be a crack shot out to 15 miles. On the other hand they know that "volunteers" are going to be the panicky type and probably break their guns. "In the panic they'll mistake the sighting notch!" The main problem with the 1898. Which is, and I know this, why they rejected sight ears in 1905. So on one hand are the target school wanting guns accurate to unspeakable ranges. On the other hand are those wanting them to have arms which are not confusing and put out a useful volume of fire. Cuba right? The Gatlings, with garbage for sights, are what finally decided it. Volume of fire. Thus the Parkhurst and charger clips.

Now let's return to those State troops. Who, presumably in the eyes of the O.D. as the regulars can do no wrong, panic. Need basic guns they cannot break. Guns which cannot be any kind of a challenge for the dumb ones. That wasn't restricted to the U.S., as the Brits all but soldiered the box magazine to the Lee, as it was commonly accepted by the "Professionals." Ego.

Step #1? Get them Mausers. The method was interesting: mandate that they get the same gun as the regulars. The regulars are going to get Mausers? So do the Militia.
    Step #2? Get them Krags to replace the Long Toms and do it quick.

So along comes Addlebrain Buffington. His main idea? Spend all the time and effort on making new target sights for the Krag. Can you imagine the rolled eyes that caused? Salt in an open wound.

The 1902 sight is adopted. The 1901 is passe.

The Mauser goes into production with the 1902. A simple sight the "panicking troops" will not confuse easily. Yes, I get in 1905 that was undone. The baleful eye had moved on.

So while they're working overtime to crank out M-1903s, to include installing new plant at RIA, they're pushing the Krags out and getting the Long Toms recalled and junked. They also know that Krags won't be out long. The M-1903s will be made in two plants and all troops will get them. What of the Krags? "War reserves." They'll be issued to the "levy en mass" if it is needed. "So we should spend much time and effort making sure they have pristine target sights. Perhaps impact M-1903 production."

Binary. In the O.D. there were two schools.
    Binary. As it moved forward in time it changed. "Let's put 1901s on all of them!" Then "Put a basic sight that the mentally deficient will not muck up on them."

It was anything but binary. Some wanted to keep the Krag obviously. Efforts to improve it were legion. While that group was trying its' best the other group was developing the Krauser-Phippsensen. The latter group obviously won. On the "battle sight versus target sight" front as well. Until 1905 anyway.

Myself, if I was getting Krags returned in 1908 and was going to just clean and repair them for war reserves I'd be unlikely to spend the coin to make shiny new bases for them. I'd toss them together to get them out the door.

Did I mention that in 1898 Blunt sent an order to SA for both 1879s and Buffingtons? Then, with delivery delayed, he followed up with "I don't care which. Send sights for damn's sake."

This is all really interesting information. Thank You!
    Last edited by Fred; 07-02-2016 at 01:16.

So the bottom line is that nobody cared whether or not the infantryman could hit his target?

jn