Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Free State of Jones

Interesting civil war film about a group of Mississippians who decide to secede from the confederacy. Well worth a watching.

Blog Entries

Traitor
    Adulterer
    Murderer.

Thats all you need to know,about Knewt Knight.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 06-29-2016 at 10:18.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I kept seeing the previews on TV, they gave the date but I never saw what channel it was on, so I missed it. Wanted to watch it.
    You can never go home again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I kept seeing the previews on TV, they gave the date but I never saw what channel it was on, so I missed it. Wanted to watch it.
    It's not on TV, it's iin theaters.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Traitor
    Adulterer
    Murderer.

Thats,all you need to know,about Knew Knight.
    I had never heard about Knight's Company despite being born in Hattiesburg and and visiting from time to time over the years. Still and all an interesting piece of history, warts and all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    I had never heard about Knight's Company despite being born in Hattiesburg and and visiting from time to time over the years. Still and all an interesting piece of history, warts and all.
    I'm from the central part of the state and had never heard of Newt coming up, but I we old hear from time to time about Jones county being called the free state of jones, so I researched it myself. A friend of mine sent me this message the other day.

He and his followers were against the "rich man's war": if you owned a certain number of slaves you weren't drafted. Plus he married a "yellow woman", Rachel, he didn't like how non-whites were treated. He is my wife's great great grand uncle, something she has to conceal in certain circles to this day. She is actually nervous about this movie coming out and has asked me not to make it very public that her grandmother used to talk about bouncing on Newt Knight's knee as a little girl!
    Last edited by PhillipM; 06-30-2016 at 05:04.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)

7. Default

People have heard about the Copperheads, little has been written about opposition to the Confederacy down South.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    People have heard about the Copperheads, little has been written about opposition to the Confederacy down South.
    The first time I heard copperheads, that I can recall, was while watching the Netflix series 'Hell on Wheels'
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    ....which was much more extensive than some would think, especially in primarily German parts of the South. My father's family in New Orleans were virulently anti secession, anti slavery, and felt that the war was promoted by people whose interests they did not share on many issues. They were Germans of Alsatian extraction and once the city of New Orleans came under union occupation actively went to work for the occupation government. One of my great, great, grand uncles by marriage, a river pilot, worked diligently ferrying supplies to the Union Army during the Red River Campaign. At Yellow Bayou he was almost surely shot at by soldiers of the 21st Texas Cavalry which included a great, great, grand uncle on my mother's side.

it wasn't "clean" and a lot of history was actively suppressed by people on both ends of the "argument" after the fact.

A good many southerners, and not just border state men fought for the Union and the reverse is true of northerners fighting for the South. A fact brought home to me a year ago when we visited the cemitary at Andersonville.
    Last edited by Art; 06-30-2016 at 03:51.

Blog Entries

I recall reading in 'That Devil, Forrest' that Forrest happened upon a Union blockhouse, whatever that was, commanded by a German.

He sent a man down under white flag to give his pat surrender or else letter, and I forget what the Germans reply was, but it was vulgar. Forrest had his artillery brought up from over the ridge and pounded the blockhouse to bits, and the German waved a white flag. When asked if they should stop the attack, Forrest said I don't see a white flag, I doubt I could see a bedsheets at this distance. I can't remember if he stopped shelling them before they were all killed or not.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)