Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I thought the bolt cut was in the stock of the 95/96. Is that for real? And the 1900 cartouche?
    So what happened to the receiver shrouding around the bolt handle? And who did it and why? Cosmoline? What gives?
    I mentioned it was interesting.

Now look at the serials and model year markings....

Well, the receiver was obviously VERY much earlier than would have been expected, due the the presence of the trigger heel wall. The bolt shroud appears to still be present, however, the stock cut is non-standard. The rear sight is a mixmaster (1898C base, 1902 (and not an altered 1898) eyepiece, with latest 1903RB knob; obviously patina is WAY off as well.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Well, the receiver was obviously VERY much earlier than would have been expected, due the the presence of the trigger heel wall. The bolt shroud appears to still be present, however, the stock cut is non-standard. The rear sight is a mixmaster (1898C base, 1902 (and not an altered 1898) eyepiece, with latest 1903RB knob; obviously patina is WAY off as well.
    I think it's kind of cute.

You've heard the expression "cannot see the forest for the trees?" How about "cannot see the tree for the trees?"

Dick, ignore every piece except the receiver. Erase every other piece as I didn't buy it for anything other than the receiver. Anything else that came with that receiver was parts. What condition those parts were in was not really a concern.

Now, once again, go back and look at the serials and year markings.

Finally, picture proof of the rumored overlap. Unless of course you dicked with the image to pull our chain. He He.

5. Default

Tsk, tsk, such a suspicious type....

6. Default

Paul Harvey, the rest of the story.

People look for stuff. Often looking for what's not there instead of what is. The "1894" receiver in a carbine is something everyone would run from. Except me. I wasn't looking for what wasn't there - I was looking at what was. That year and serial number combination was interesting. What did I expect to receive?
    1) A receiver.
    2) Maybe a barrel. Might be bubba.
    3) Maybe a stock with a crudely carved bolt seat. Recent work. Which is why it surprised me. I was expecting Russian grade cheap whittling on that seat.
    4) Probably a bolt. What model would be a surprise.
    5) A rear sight. 1902 the ad claimed. Probably rifle....

So basically a receiver. Whatever else came with it would be a surprise. I was expecting an unpleasant one on those bits so I received better than expected with regards to parts. The barrel is nice. If I want to recover that stock it'd be easy. I might just leave the entire shebang as is.

I bought it due to my Ripley's Believe it or Not gene. I have enough Krags. Now I just buy oddities. For amusement.

At that RIA regional I purchased revolvers. I really don't need more Krags. I'll buy oddities when they appear but I'm not really after them. I'm after the other missing bits.

That receiver was simply to curious to pass on.

Now, knowing that the receiver is the really interesting bit, why the cosmoline? Why the "not Russian grade whittling" bolt seat work? Why and who?

It's quite the conversation piece if you just look at what's there instead of what's not.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 06-26-2016 at 03:35.

7. Default

Almost forgot. I get an 1899 barrel band....

Which, given Cadet rifle needs, is a nice thing to have.

====

By the way I'm back.

Four years ago it was obvious that my job was going to be consolidated. A transfer to 9th level Hades was in the offing. I went to 7th level Hades instead. They gave me an extra $10K a year. Mentally taxing place. On June 16th I officially hit 20 years continual. Last January I actually had 20 but didn't want to make a mistake. Three weeks ago I ordered a Mustang convertible for the other half. Two weeks ago I turned in my notice. Last week I bought that interesting Krag and a H&A Belgian Mauser. Yesterday I bought some revolvers.

Tomorrow I won't go to work. I do not have a job.

Which is awesome.

Now I can get back to the books. I'll have my brain back. No more prison time for me!

CongratulaTIONS, Joe. With the BS out of the way you can get down to some REAL work.

jn

Welcome to retirement!

10. Default

CongratulaTIONS, Joe. With the BS out of the way you can get down to some REAL work.

jn
    Indeed. Wrote a book for the wife last fall. Then a follow-on for her. That's half done. By August those two will be done and out the door. Then I suspect Vol 6, Part 2 is next. Then back to the first five volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Welcome to retirement!
    Um, well, technically I'm not retired....

I'm just not employed. A layabout. A slacker. The wife's workers told her now I'm a "trophy husband" whatever that is.

Money isn't a problem. I was a mite efficient in investing.