Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. Default Strangely interesting

Love the cosmoline.

2. Default

First picture makes the one look like the barrel is shorter. That's an optical delusion from the camera angle. The lengths are fine. As are the toes.

Well that is a nice side-by-side comparison there. That '99 (98?) is almost too nice to shoot. I would not take that one into the woods!

jn

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Well that is a nice side-by-side comparison there. That '99 (98?) is almost too nice to shoot. I would not take that one into the woods!

jn
    The M-1898 or M-1899 isn't. Part of why it's so interesting. That's the mystery. There is one more photo for those two which I'll add later. For now it's Sherlock Holmes time.

Look deep into that gun which appears to be an M-1899. Tell me what you see. Don't worry about making strange guesses as it's going to surprise you in the end.

LOTSA issues with the pretty one. Stock, receiver, cartouche, sight, etc.

Beautiful rifles. Ignorant of Krags. Will be following the thread for developments. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    cartouche
    The cartouche is simply gorgeous. Perfect. Matches the incredibly clean grasping grooves and proof cartouche.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    sight
    What issue do you have with the sight?

It's beautiful.

====

The bolt cut in that stock is obvious as is the reason for it. That, when the cosmoline is taken into account, gets interesting. As does the age of that bolt handle work.

Still not the interesting bit though. Interesting bits, yes, but not the main one.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 06-26-2016 at 11:24.

8. Default

Guess the serials on those carbines. The lowest serial in the photo added for math illustration....

The pictured M-1896 above is in the middle. The carbine in the 1899 stock is lowest in this photo.

Interesting, no?

I thought the bolt cut was in the stock of the 95/96. Is that for real? And the 1900 cartouche?

So what happened to the receiver shrouding around the bolt handle? And who did it and why? Cosmoline? What gives?