Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Once had a Model 8 in in .32 Remington with the buttstock branded Paxton (Illinois) Police Dept. Here in the heart of Dillinger country no self respecting PD or Sheriffs department was without either Remington or Winchester autoloaders and Thompson SMGs.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JBinIll View Post
    Once had a Model 8 in in .32 Remington with the buttstock branded Paxton (Illinois) Police Dept. Here in the heart of Dillinger country no self respecting PD or Sheriffs department was without either Remington or Winchester autoloaders and Thompson SMGs.
    The most beautiful Tommy gun I ever saw was a 1928 owned by the Mississippi Highway Patrol. The blueing and wood finish were immaculate.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Shooter5 Guest

Granpa used a Model 8 from the 1930s to 50s then switched to the Model 760. I like them alot. The mechanism is somewhat similar to many of the recoil actuated firearms by JMB including the M2 HMG. I shoot a Model 81 in 300 Savage, the parent cartridge for 762 NATO. Also have been a member of the The Great Model 8 site for years. The AK47 designers undoubtedly copied its safety. The US military briefly considered it for a service rifle but an automatic was not to be until the Garand; but what might have been...? They shoot great but check out a youtube video first before field stripping one!
    Last edited by Shooter5; 06-30-2016 at 10:59.

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Couple of on-line articles about Frank Hamer (who should need no introduction) and his Model 8's:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...endary-lawman/

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=434

That said, a buddy of mine who had several 8's and 81's said that the 35-cal was the one to have because you could load .357 diameter handgun bullets in it easily and cheaply. I have no personal experience with this myself but always found his advice reliable.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

5. Default

Thanks for the links, Andouille

I got out Fourth of July Weekend with my youngest son to shoot some of the collection, including the Remington model 81. Because of a problem we had sighting in a Garand (unnoticed loose front sight) we only had time to shoot the 81 at 50 yards.

My son shot this three shot group @ 50 yards

I shot this one, also at 50 yards.

we were using some PCI commercially loaded ammo.

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...