Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Remington Model 81

Back in the day, before SWAT teams, Law Enforcement used the Remington Model 81 and Winchester 1907 self-loading rifles for "high risk" arrests. These semi auto rifles were beautifully made and finished and chambered in .25, .30, .32, and .35 Remington and .300 Savage.

Here's my Model 81, in .30 Remington...

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Great rifle! Yours looks to be in excellent condition. How does it shoot? Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Blog Entries

Didn't those have a LEO only extended magazine?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

There was a conversion for the Rem. model which made it into a 20 rnd. removable magazine rifle. I had one in the earlier Rem. model (08?). They were made and installed by some 'Police Equipment Company" in Miss. or Mo. as I remember. A lot of police and prison guards were equipped with them, a very desirable collectors item!
    Last edited by dave; 06-25-2016 at 02:55.
    You can never go home again.

Link to the law enforcement rifles. Friend had a beautiful example of one of these, and was so proud of it I figured he would never sell it. He did.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=659

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Great rifle! Yours looks to be in excellent condition. How does it shoot? Sincerely. bruce.
    Thanks, bruce.

This one, equipped as it is with a Redfield peep sight, shoots very nicely. I'll look around for the target, but it shoots just a bit over 1 moa with the Buffalo Arms .30 Rem ammo.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Didn't those have a LEO only extended magazine?
    Both the Remington 8 and 81 could be modified to accept an extended magazine. However, it required machining of the receiver to accept those magazines.

Back in 2009 I saw one (can't remember whether it was an 8 or an 81) at Peterson's in Albuquerque. It had just sold for $2000--about 4 times what a regular 81 was selling for.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    There was a conversion for the Rem. model which made it into a 20 rnd. removable magazine rifle. I had one in the earlier Rem. model (08?). They were made and installed by some 'Police Equipment Company" in Miss. or Mo. as I remember. A lot of police and prison guards were equipped with them, a very desirable collectors item!
    That's the one.

The regular model, like mine, has to be fed through the top. They used to make stripper clips for them, but AFAIK, those unobtanium now.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Link to the law enforcement rifles. Friend had a beautiful example of one of these, and was so proud of it I figured he would never sell it. He did.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=659
    Yep, they are around. But pricey!

I was mistaken when I said 20 rnd. and looking at the pics. I think mine was a 10 rnd. Saw it in a small gun shop in Hot Spings, 350 with two boxes of ammo. Bought it for a friend who had an interest in the rifles. I tried to trade him out of a Krag carbine but no go. So I put an add in Shotgun News , 700 bucks and must have got 10 calls, even one from Alaska! I think I sold it too cheap but that was years ago! it was a Model 8.
    Another "Keeper" I should have hung on to, at least for a longer time!
    Last edited by dave; 06-26-2016 at 06:53.
    You can never go home again.