Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Interesting viewpoints all. Thank you. First choice is my .40 Glock, but have always wanted a carbine - just waited too long. Have a shotgun already.

We do have nearby neighbors, so penetration is a consideration. My wife will be shooting along with me, at my side or my back, as required.

Blog Entries

I ditched the shotgun and drug one of my carbines out of the safe when I got a 115# girlfriend. Excellent handling, vastly larger magazine, and the new Hornady defense rounds are impressive. My shotgun is back doing duty for squirrels and such.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Of course, I can remember when they were $59.95 through the DCM, so my mind is forever poisoned. Thanks in advance.
    Oh, goodness! You don't remember far enough back. The DCM sold them for $20.00, not $59.95. Now your mind is even more poisoned!

Out where we live, my wife and I aren't generally concerned about wall penetration as long as each of us knows where the other one is. Truth is, on any given day we're far more likely to need to use a house gun to dispatch a problem animal than an intruder, but I'd sooner have a shotgun in either case (although my 9mm Sig is virtually always within reach as well).

A while back, I got to thinking about what it would be like to discharge a 12 ga. inside a small room. Once, many years ago, I had to fire a .45 ACP inside a large enclosed space without hearing protection and it was truly not fun. Sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do, but it occurred to me that the ideal house gun might actually be a suppressed AR style rifle chambered in .300 Blackout firing subsonic ammunition. Not being a fan of the black rifle, I don't actually know whether subsonic .300 BLK would even cycle an AR or not, but it seems like it would sure be less damaging to your hearing.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Why does every one say a 12 ga. for a house gun? A 410 with buck is all you need, unless you are worried about 1000# grizzly's. Even a 20 would be over gunned. And be sure its a pump, that sound of 'racking' will scare the sh*t out of anyone!
    You can never go home again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IditarodJoe View Post
    ... Sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do, but it occurred to me that the ideal house gun might actually be a suppressed AR style rifle chambered in .300 Blackout firing subsonic ammunition. Not being a fan of the black rifle, I don't actually know whether subsonic .300 BLK would even cycle an AR or not, but it seems like it would sure be less damaging to your hearing.

300 blk subsonic will not cycle in an AR without a supressor.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

IMHO $800.00 is a bit too high. It sounds more like a $500.00 to $600.00 at most. A few years ago I bought a Inland (import marked) for $240.00. The stock was a little rough but it shoots pretty good. For HD I'd vote pump shotgun like Ithaca. Win 97 riot if you can find one is also a good choice.

You do not want a long gun for home defense. Try holding a rifle or a shotgun while dialing 911. Best bet is a .357 magnum revolver because a) revolvers don't jam or misfeed and b) you can hold them with one hand and dial 911 with the other.
    Bob - Southern Indiana Chapter OFC

9. Default

Must be something like the .44 Magnum cartridge. In a rifle it is a miserable excuse for a hunting gun, but chamber a .44 Magnum in a revolver and it becomes a deadly killing machine.

The M1 Carbine is a great little home defense gun if you want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Must be something like the .44 Magnum cartridge. In a rifle it is a miserable excuse for a hunting gun, but chamber a .44 Magnum in a revolver and it becomes a deadly killing machine.

The M1 Carbine is a great little home defense gun if you want to go that route.
    44 magnum a miserable excuse for a hunting gun (say in a Marlin carbine 240 gr bullet at 1700 fps) but it becomes a deadly killing machine in a hard to control handgun with less ballistics and fewer shots? Am I missing something here?

I have both and the lever action Marlin will shoot rings around my Smith 29 all day long and is much more controllable for follow up shots. Also, check out the blast from a 6" bbl in lowlight.
    Last edited by Dolt; 09-24-2016 at 02:04. Reason: additional info
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment