Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Inland Carbine worth??

I asked a friend for a generic non-collector grade carbine for use as a home-defense backup - he has several - and he came back with an Inland which he had assembled from parts, including a "brand new" barrel (even though it has an import stamp - is that possible?) for $800, including one magazine.

Is that reasonable?

I think it is pretty high. Of course, I can remember when they were $59.95 through the DCM, so my mind is forever poisoned. Thanks in advance.

The guy really is a friend - if perhaps a bit overly proud of this carbine - and has always paid my asking price for trapdoors and Krags without any quibbling, so I'm in no position to haggle; it will have to be a "yes" or "no" response.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 06-23-2016 at 03:33. Reason: speling

Sounds high to me too Dick, although it would depend on some of the specific parts that are on it and overall condition. I guess someone will eventually ask so it might as well be me . . . An $800 M1 carbine for a home defense backup gun??? Why? Wouldn't a Mossberg 500 at half the price likely be a better choice? Or if you need a little more reach, maybe a good used .30-30 lever gun? Just curious.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Without getting into detail of parts, pictures and the import stamped barrel it sounds a little high to me too. I would think around $500-600 for the considerations you have listed. Also, since new barrels are short chambered and have to be reamed, I would be concerned about the headspace unless your friend is good at what he does.

Thanks for the help.

As to the HS, the barrel was installed by a proper gunsmith, and has been successfully test-fired.

My friend tells me he "had to pay a lot" for the barrel, so that, and the gunsmith's fee, are not helping the price any. He's a very nice old codger, but set in his ways and method of dealing, and VERY "frugal". If he spent money (even if same were ill-advised) he expects to recoup it. The carbine isn't going anywhere - he really doesn't want to sell it - only offered it because I asked.

Think I'll pass - I have NO desire to start collecting these, or even to worry about having a "right" one. Perhaps a Universal?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I asked a friend for a generic non-collector grade carbine for use as a home-defense backup - he has several - and he came back with an Inland which he had assembled from parts, including a "brand new" barrel (even though it has an import atamp - is that possible?) for $800, including one magazine.

Is that reasonable?
    No.

including a "brand new" barrel (even though it has an import atamp - is that possible?)
    No. They stamp firearms on import. Loose barrels were never stamped from anything I've ever seen. Without the receiver they're just another metal pipe. Firearms, not parts, need to meet the law. A receiver is a firearm. I wouldn't say he's being dishonest - it may have come to him that way. I would say it's not logical so he's hoping that what he knows is wrong isn't.

I asked a friend for a generic non-collector grade carbine for use as a home-defense backup

An M1 carbine is a miserable excuse for a home defense weapon. Buy a cheap 12 gage shotgun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/565317130

Something like that. Doesn't take much for aiming in the dark. The ratcheting noise tends to make people aware that bad things are going to happen to them. If you ever have to use it we'll not see press reports of some old dude using a "Military Assault Rifle!!!!" to meet home invaders. Instead it'll be some old dude with a shotgun and thus not newsworthy.

"Perhaps a Universal? "

NO !!!!

The early Universals were OK but most of them are the newer style with some very poor engineering. Best to stay away from all of the Universals. For what they sell for you can buy a USGI with the re-import stamp and have a nice reliable weapon.

A carbine is a miserable excuse for home defense? Your joking right? IF you live away from your closest neighbors and use a good soft point factory round it doesn't get much better. The carbine round is a penetrator and it will go through walls like crazy. But it will also do the same thing to varmints on four or two legs. A good used USGI carbine is hard to beat. Stay away for the vast majority of commercial carbines as they don't live up to the reputation of a real one.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    A carbine is a miserable excuse for home defense? Your joking right?
    No, I'm quite serious.

IF you live away from your closest neighbors
    Why the restriction? Let's add another. "If there are never any family or friends in your house."

The shotgun is the superior tool for home defense and costs less in the bargain. He's looking at buying something. If he already had a carbine that is a different question. Whether the cost of buying the shotgun, assuming he had a carbine, would be worthwhile in that situation is open to question.

But that's not the reality of this. He doesn't have a carbine.

Buy a shotgun if you're after home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    A carbine is a miserable excuse for home defense? Your joking right?
    I'm with Tuna. While there is little wrong with a shotgun, except that it has a very small magazine, takes a long time to reload, has a really bad kick with buck shot, does not have sights and spreads a big pattern as the range gets longer, a pistol and a carbine makes more sense to me.

Seriously, both work and the choice is a matter of personal preference. My go to defense long gun is a carbine. Note there are also the increased risk of being disarmed when employing a long gun at the bad breath ranges often encountered in home defense.

Any shotgun round worth it's salt is #4 buck or higher. Any good buckshot will penetrate walls including outside walls. I also have a shotgun near by with #4 buck along with a carbine loaded with 110 gr. soft point ammo. Odds are it will be the carbine I use first and it will ruin some ones day for sure.

Now as to an import marked carbine. They are running in the $800 range in many areas of the country. Others less and if it's what some consider to be one of those special types (Winchester or Rock-Ola) then even more then the $800.