Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oregon Prison 97's and 94's

Here is a list of firearms I received with my Winchester 97 trench in the early 1990"s. Twenty eight 97's and 10 Winchester 94's. My shotgun came with a Win. 1895 long bayonet no scabbard. Bayonet adapter notched for this bayonet. No US marks on shotgun. I didn't see any of the other firearms to know condition or markings.

Thought some here might like this information.94 & 97 Auction.3 001.jpg94 & 97 Auction.4 001.jpg94 & 97 Auction.5 001.jpg

2. Default

That is awesome. Those are COMMERCIAL trench guns, no markings.
    Does yours have the brass buttplate?

3. Default

Oh my, this list is illuminating...any more detail as to origin of the guns?

Does your 97 have a rack number by any chance? Right side of receiver in front of ejection port?

Does your buttplate look like this?

And your adaptor like this?

Last edited by SPEEDGUNNER; 06-14-2016 at 08:06.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

4. Default

hyrax222, thanks for posting that info. Your 97 is from 1934.

About half of the 97s on the list were made in 1932. The rest in 1934.

Is the bayonet adaptor on your shotgun marked?
    Last edited by Tom Doniphon; 06-14-2016 at 07:17. Reason: Add info

5. Default

Canfield discusses these interesting variations on Pages 70 and 71 in his fine book "Complete Guide to United States Military Combat Shotguns". Your list of serial numbers falls in with a number of these commercial trench shotguns I have observed here on the East Coast. Coincidentally, there was just one that sold at Amoskeag, and I am sorry I missed it. The auction listing is here:

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/110/79.php

What makes this shotgun intriguing is the rack number on this shotgun is "51" and is in an identical font to the others I have observed. The serial number is much lower than the others I observed. The serial number serial number 843033 and the auction states manufactured in 1936, I think they determined that by serial records. Of the others, the lowest rack number I have seen is "3", with the others being "25" and "34". Barrel dates were all in the 20's and 30's. ALL exhibited the brass Winchester buttplate and the bayonet lug to accommodate the 1895 bayonet. The serial numbers all fall into the range of the ones detailed on your lists, in fact they are very close. They all had 21" CYL barrels with the filled front sight bead hole. According to published serial records, (we know they can sometimes be off) they would all be 1942 production, so why the earlier barrel dates?

Here is the data on the 3:

Serial______Rack # ____Barrel date

878661________3_________28

885513________34________could not see

885637________25________34

Obviously they were not being inventoried in serial or chronological order, but rather as received. I would love to know how your shotgun is marked, and if you have seen any others with similar markings to yours. Is the rack marking on your shotgun similar to the one that sold at Amoskeag?

Certainly an interesting and seldom seen variation that is worthy of more study. I would love to know how many shotguns were produced in this configuration, and where they were sold.

6. Default

878661 was serialized in 1932. The other two guns were serialized in 1934.

7. Default

SpeedGunner,

It sounds like Amoskeag was using the old printed estimates found around the web, including the current Winchester site, for their 1936 date. The gun they sold was actually from 1928. The best source for Winchester serial number records is the Winchester Arms Collectors Assoc, they've digitized the records from the Winchester proof house and finishing house here: http://winchestercollector.org/dates/
    It's the same information used by the Cody Firearms Museum for Winchester letters.
    James,
    I'm a collector and researcher of Stevens 520/620 shotguns.

8. Default

I am guessing the Amoskeag 97 is earlier. So Winchester obviously continued production of this model for a period of time through the late 20's and into the 30's. Yet, until Canfield's book came out in 2007 there was never a mention of them.

9. Default

1928 per post #7
    James,
    I'm a collector and researcher of Stevens 520/620 shotguns.

10. Default

Most of the 97 serial number info you find around is based on Maadis book, and it is just plain wrong.