Default Can anybody explain to me why 1911 are in such good shape for the years 1918 and 1919

I've been on GunBroker and I've seen so many 1911 made in 1918 and 1919, there in such great shape. I'm not saying all I see. But a lot that have really no finish left but the markings are still really deep and sharp. After the war were these sold off real quick that would explain why they're still in such good condition or were they left in inventory until world War 2. I just purchased one ship to France in June of 1918 it was made in 1918 as well it's only about 20% bluing left with a lot of surface graze what is still in great shape and the markings are super deep deep. Just can't explain why a pistol wouldn't have more wear got my 1911 a1's from my Army days or beat so bad it was unbelievable. It's kind of hard to see why people who want to buy em from CMP when they get to sell them.

Default Can anybody explain to me why 1911 are in such good shape for the years 1918 and 1919

tankerfrank,

Because there is/was a large supply! Colt made about 400000 1918-1919 M1911s. 629500 total M1911s with 400000 in that late period.

Best Regards,

At the end of WWI Ordnance found that it was about 165,000 handguns short of what they had at the beginning of WWI plus those manufactured during WWI. While some were undoubtedly lost in combat, a good percentage were pilfered. Most were probably in nice condition, and if brought home and maintained they remained in nice condition. If brought home and stuck under the truck seat it did not remain in nice condition. The "been there, done that" condition is more the result of neglect rather than being through 1000 battles.
    Last edited by Johnny P; 06-15-2016 at 07:08.

So it sounds like in WW1 troops were able to hide War bougie much easier than in World War II and the Korean War. Which makes sense because after each War the America is entered into war trophies are much much harder to bring home. Look at the Poor Boys from Afghanistan and Iraq I can bring anything back. I understand them not wanting them to bring back fully automatic AK and RPGs. But I still think any Iraqi or Afghanistan type pistol should have been able to be brought back. My friend who was a ranger spent so many months in Afghanistan couldn't even bring back knives and swords over so many inches. It's just ridiculous but that's another story..

Here are some photos. I paid to much for her,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tankerfrank; 06-14-2016 at 04:25.

Had a friend that was a field doctor in the first Iraq war with the rank of Lt. Col., and thought he was going to bring his issue knife home, but was required to turn it in.

When leaving 'Nam in 1967, I brought home my M16 bayonet. I had 2 and turned 1 in to supply. 1911 pistols were sent home thru the mail via broke down in several packages. I had to leave a M2 full auto carbine behind. We could get almost any weapon desired thru the Special Force guys who often visited our base. They would trade for fresh rations which we had an over abundance of.

Before we shipped back all our stuff was inspected, then locked in a conex box. if you had anything it got picked out and thrown in a pile never to be seen again.