Thread: M1C

Default M1C

Just did a CSP search on the M1C. There is a few on scopes and mounts, but not many on the rifles.

In the 1st post in this one: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?41705-M1C. Would the "matching mount" be the G&H receiver bracket or the G&H scope base? Is there standard terminology for the G&H numbered components?

Best Regards,

You honestly see the terms sort of swapped around on this stuff, a lot of people get confused.

I personally say the base is the bracket that is attached to the receiver. The Mount is the part with the rings and scope that slides on.

There are not many out there where the mount serial, matches the receiver. I think I heard at one time there are only about (8) matching that are known as of right now.

I had a chance at one, one time. But didn't go for it. At the time I wasn't into sniper rifles, but now they are my favorite thing to collect. Go Figure.

If you want to know the actual terminology. This is the exact terms.

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    If you want to know the actual terminology. This is the exact terms.

cplnorton,

Thank you for the information.

So, technically, the correct terms, would be matching G&H Bracket and matching G&H Mount.

Best Regards,

You honestly see the terms sort of swapped around on this stuff, a lot of people get confused.

I personally say the base is the bracket that is attached to the receiver. The Mount is the part with the rings and scope that slides on.

There are not many out there where the mount serial, matches the receiver. I think I heard at one time there are only about (8) matching that are known as of right now.

I had a chance at one, one time. But didn't go for it. At the time I wasn't into sniper rifles, but now they are my favorite thing to collect. Go Figure.
    cplnorton,

Another collector interested in the M1C, indicated that the group in the GCA that tracks the M1C and M1D rifles, said that prior to the Greek II returns making into the collector ranks, that there was "less than a hand full" of numbers Matching Receiver, Base, and Mount.?

It would seem that now, with all the Greek II returns, there would be more All Matching (all three numbers) M1C Rifles.?

Best Regards,
    Last edited by stan4; 06-14-2016 at 07:33.

I have only heard of one that matched out of the Greeks. I'm not sure how many mounts and scopes even came back with them, or if they even did. It's very possible he had the mount that matched a serial that came back and mated them together.

I know I actually had a mount that actually matched one of the Greek returns. I had it a long time before the Greeks came back. I could have bought that one that matched my mount and didn't. I don't know why.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 06-14-2016 at 04:37.

I have only heard of one that matched out of the Greeks. I'm not sure how many mounts and scopes even came back with them, or if they even did. It's very possible he had the mount that matched a serial that came back and mated them together.

I know I actually had a mount that actually matched one of the Greek returns. I had it a long time before the Greeks came back. I could have bought that one that matched my mount and didn't. I don't know why.
    cplnorton,

As you indicated, only about 8 KNOWN,---maybe there are more matched but not known to the folks that track them.?

Is it known how many M1Cs were made, how many were de-milled, and how many were transfired through DCM and CMP?

Heard there is about 4000 DCM/CMP M1Cs,---only about 8 out of 4000 that match. (That is only .2% [.002]!)

Best Regards,
    Last edited by stan4; 06-15-2016 at 03:17.

You would have to talk to the GCA for the exact number of ones known, but I know it's not very many. I've always heard less than 10.

I know during Clinton's era a lot were sent to Capt Crunch. I have the document with the number somewhere, but it was actually a pretty big number.

I know they sold 100 at auction in 1995. They sold like 74 at auction in 1999/2000. Then around 1800 came back from Greece. There are still a lot we sent overseas to countries like the Philippines and Vietnam and such. But those never came back, and I have little faith they will.

There has been a few random ones sold at auction through the CMP and DCM over the years and how many or that figures into the numbers, no clue. But I don't think it's more than a handful sold other than the big lots of them. As far as I know none of the one ones sold at least since 1995 have had a matching serial mount.

Some of the SA-52 plugged receivers have been restored out there as well. And some seem to have been acquired from people while in the military, but that number seems to be very small.

I don't really research the Army and the M1C, as my interest really only lies in the history of the Marines. But for instance the Marines tested two in 1945 and the war was over before they adopted it as the new sniper rifle. They acquired a small number to test in 1950, and adopted the rifle in early 51 to replace the 1903 Unertls. So the Marines never really received any of them till Korea, so they were probably already mixed up by the time they even got them.