1. Default Japanese WW2 Rifle Question

Need to know which rifle was the most used by Japan during WW2. Also consider which is the easiest to obtain relatively cheap and available ammo for it. Would like to try to find one as an example, not a pristine rifle. Any info appreciated.

The Type 99 7.7mm rifle was produced only from 1939-1945. Thus making it Japans WW2 rifle. That being said, millions of Type38 6.5mm rifles already existed and production continued into WW2. Think of the Type99 as the Garand and the Type38 as the 1903/03A3.

Availability and price of ammo is about the same for the two.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

7.7X58mm Jap is currently produced by Hornady using PPU/Privi brass, and is available at Graf and Sons. It's also frequently available at Cabelas. The price is about on par with other not-too-common rounds at $35.00 a box of 20. Norma also still produces the round, but is extremely hard to find these days, and is quite a bit more expensive too. 6.5x50mm Jap is also available from Graf and Sons, although I'm not familiar with whether it's the Hornady or Norma ammo (I've only actually seen 6.5x50 in Norma).

A decent shootable Type 99 in somewhat original condition (not sporterized) should run you under $350.00, and sporters would be less. Same for a Type 38. I've seen a few Type 44s, but they should run a bit higher in price. Check out some gun shows, or if there's one in your area... an Antique Arms Collectors show. There are a few in Novi Michigan every year (if you're within driving distance) and there are always Type 99s and Type 38s available there!

FWIW, I've had limited handling of a Type 38, but I own several 99s, and shoot one of them regularly in Vintage Rifle Matches. It's a great gun... fun to shoot, and if handled properly, relatively accurate too! Which ever you wind up going with... SAVE YOUR BRASS!!!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I have read the type 99 was the most common by the time our troops met up in combat with japs. Most of the type 38's were in the Chinese theater where the japs had been fighting since the early 30's. Not that our troops never faced t-38's, 99's were just more common.
    You can never go home again.

Available 7.7 x 58 or 6.5 x 50 Jap ammo(Norma only) runs $43.99 per 20 from Midway. Reloading is a viable option, but dies and such will very likely be special order stuff.
    Norma brass is currently on back order at Midway. Runs $39.99 per 25. Prvi is on No backorder there.
    Graf's is listing 6.5 Prvi brass at $58.99 per 100. They're out of stock on the 7.7 brass(uses a .311" bullet). I have data, but so does Hodgdon's site.
    Your real issue will be finding a rifle is decent enough condition to shoot. A "cheap" is a very relative term. Type 99's are starting at about $200 on Gunbroker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Reloading is a viable option, but dies and such will very likely be special order stuff.
    LEE 7.7X58 Jap die sets, which include the factory crimp die are readily available from Midway, and run around $32 for the set. They have them in stock!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo