Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

For what its worth, keeping in mind books are never written in stone. "Until the 1930's parts were numbered with Assembly numbers of 1 to 3 digits. During the 1930's aresnals begin using last three digits of serial number to SOME parts, while others continued to be numbered to match a separate assembly number. After about 1940 the serial was used exclusively for matching numbered parts." Japanese Rifles of WW11" Duncan McCollum. A very basic beginners book, I know, so don't jump all over me!
    My 99 Long is matched by serial, these were made in 1939.
    38 Carbine # 42453, 5 series, is a m/m but has an assemb. #171 (barrel & rec.), bolt, safety, firing pin, floorplate are #453. Stock, handguard, dust cover are all numbered m/m.
    Series 33 Toyo Kogya is matched by serial # but only bolt & rec. And it has many of early features which it 'should not', perhaps because of low # 5030.
    Series 30 #41321 (1940-41) is matched by assemb. number 696 on rec., bolt & safety, bayo lug. No other numbers altho I did not take bolt apart.
    44 Carbine # 57489. A m/m rifle but following have serials; bolt, renumber to 489, T.G, trigger, bolt release, some sight parts, fire pin, safty (match), upper lower tang.
    Type 38 long 64241. Series 27. Rec. Assemb. #248. Safety, bayo lug, floorplate serial matched. two other small parts are m/m.
    By the way, the so called 'series numbers' is a collectors term, never used by the Japanese. The numbers came about by the way the symbols are arranged in a Japanese poem (or something like that).
    Last edited by dave; 06-13-2016 at 05:51.
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    ......Japanese Rifles of WW11" Duncan McCollum. A very basic beginners book, I know, so don't jump all over me! .......
    There is nothing basic about that book. It covers everything you need to know in a well thought out and easy to follow way. I think Honeycutts book is coffee table junk compared to McCollums. Sure, the big red book is pretty and has lots of pictures. It even has some info that you can't find elsewhere. That info is generally useless to the average collector. The bulk of the info is basically "Look at these guns someone showed me". I "Lucked out" and found a copy of the beg red book for $40 when I started collecting. Later on I paid $20 (full retail) for McCollums book and was pissed that I wasted money on Honeycutts. McCollums book is my go to and I use it about 15 times as often as the big red coffee table book.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Awesome info. Thank you. I have McCollum's book enroute. I saw a copy of Honeycutt's book and it looks good and I will get it eventually I am sure, but it sounds like McCollum's is perfect for my needs right now. BTW, I found a link to Honeycutt's website where it is still offering the book for $45. Anyone know if that is a live, accurate link?

McCollum's book is he only one I have, as I am not a primarily a jap rifle collector. I got it cause it was cheap and its all I needed. As for the "basic, beginners" remark I was repeating what I have read on another site where the "experts" hang out. Glad to hear different!
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    McCollum's book is he only one I have, as I am not a primarily a jap rifle collector. I got it cause it was cheap and its all I needed. As for the "basic, beginners" remark I was repeating what I have read on another site where the "experts" hang out. Glad to hear different!
    You are absolutely correct. If you aren't looking to buy exotic experimental Japanese rifles, then that is all you need. Even the average diehard Arisaka collector is unlikely to actually need more than that book.

Those "experts" apparently care if the inspection stamp was turned slightly counterclockwise the week Hiroki San had the flu and his left handed replacement was working. Honeycutts book has been the standby for years, simply because it was the standby for years. I only use it for the pages at the front with some of the more obscure marks. It has great info on some super rare weapons and devices.....that most of us will never see. It isn't very user friendly and is too in depth on the things most will never have access to. McCollums book sticks almost strictly to the weapons of war used during WW2 and is easy to follow.

So, if you want to sit around talking about the different variations of pressure test rifle inspection stamps, get Honeycutts book. If you want to quickly and easily identify if a series 7 rifle has the correct parts on it, get McCollums book.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Awesome! I get the rifle and McCollum's book tomorrow! I can't wait.

I have both Honeycutt and McCollum . . . .

Like 'em both, but Honeycutt edges McCollum out! --Jim

Sorry for the delay. Here are the latest photos. I'm really not sure about the stock. I've seen a few lately that are similar finish, I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

and a few more. The cleaning rod was apparently broken. I am still pretty pleased.

I am now looking at a "Last Ditch" Kokura at a different place. They are asking $299. It looks much better as in correct than this one does I think.
    Last edited by artyldr01; 06-18-2016 at 08:28.

Here are some of the last ditch...