Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My first Arisaka, Kokura Type 99

Good afternoon,

I stumbled on a Type 99 at a local pawn shop for $200. I will admit my knowledge of japanese weapons is slim at best. Normally I would go, do a ton of research then make my purchas decision but I figured $200 isn't bad even if it isn't perfect. Here is what I can tell you so far and the few photos i was able to take at the shop, I apologize they aren't better, I'll post more when I pick it up next week. I plan to purchase the book "Military Rifles of Japan" very soon and get smart but in the interim your knowledge is appreciated!

1. No Anti-Aircraft wings but same type of sight
    2. Has front sight protectors
    3. No dust cover
    4. Monopod mount/band but no monopod
    5. Earlier knurled cocking piece / bolt handle etc.
    6. Mum mostly ground off but you can still see a few petals.
    7. I believe Kokura Arsenal
    8. I cannot identify the symbol before the SN (45194) to determine block. It looks like a v-tail swallow but I don't recognize that mark in my research. I understand Kokura to be block 20-25?
    9. Good rifling but dirty.
    10. Metal buttplate
    11. Stock finish seems pretty nice by military standards, though perhaps sanded and refinished I now realize (I hope not...)

I didn't see serial numbers at the bayonet lug and bolt handle but i really didn't look that close.

Again, I figured it wasn't too bad of a deal. Also, any help dating and determining "originality" by which I mean, I understand at some point that the anti-aircraft wings, dust cover and monopod were no longer built into the weapon, is this likely in that window rather than pieces that were discarded by the Soldier? Either way I don't really care, I have "rescued" another rifle needing a good home... and found yet another rabbit hole for the collection!

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Serial number on bolt will be at the base of the handle underneath. Just open the bolt and look under the handle.

The Japanese deleted the monopod and AA sights before they used up all the mounts. Thus, some came from the factory with the option for AA sights and monopod, but without them mounted. You probably have a mid war rifle and it maybe correct.

The mum is ground. There is no such thing as a mostly there, partially ground or lightly ground mum. If it has one line through it, it has a ground mum. Intact mums are worth about 10%. There is a ton of emphasis on mums by non collectors who think they will get a fortune if two petals of the mum are visible. It just doesn't work that way.

The finish on your rifle could be correct. Look for sharp edges on the top of the stock by the receiver. If the edges are rounded, it has been sanded. Factory finish on most Arisakas was glossy. Color ranged from burgundy or RED to light tan or yellow.

If you can post a good photo of the series mark (symbol before serial number) I can probably figure it out.

For $200 you did great.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Close-up of front band and stock immediately to rear may reveal if monopod was ever on the rifle.
    Last edited by dave; 06-08-2016 at 11:57.
    You can never go home again.

Thank you very much. I will definitely take better photos of the markings and whole rifle next week when I pick it up. I was thinking that, as with most arsenals, they used up the parts on hand before going to the new (non-monopod) bands but I also understand they were discareded by Soldiers often. I usually have a pretty good eye for messed with stocks and this one looked pretty straight to me compared to what I typically see when stocks are messed with.

I appreciate the education on the "mum." I know some people consider it the end-all, be-all but I don't really care. I tend to prefer the more dinged up, used "average" looking weapons as they, at least to me, indicate a typical service life. I don't want pristine warehouse queens.

Dave, I will definitely look for wear indicators or other signs that it may have been there at one time, I didn't think of that.

Again, thank you very much!

Even if the bolt number (last three of the serial) doesn't match the serial number, don't despair... Many Arisakas came back with mixed parts because they were disassembled and bolts (and other parts) were tossed in a bucket. Once back in the states, they were reassembled with no regard to which bolt came from which rifle. Also, Arisakas have the serial number on just about every part on the gun. The safety knob, firing pin, etc. Even if it doesn't match, you have a great looking 99 that should be fun to shoot! Take her to Perry and shoot her in the Vintage!

I'm lucky in that both of my Type 99s are all matching, one with the mum, one ground and sporterized.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I am not aware that they have serials on "just about every part". I have owned several over the years and have 6 now. None of the ones I have now have such and I do not remember that any of the others did. One type 99 I now have has 'assembly' numbers on several parts, only bolt and action have the serial along with the assembly number.
    I only have one with a mum, a 38 carbine which of course would have been easy to bring or send home without going thru the grinding of captured rifles after the surrender. I have seen several of these with intact mums!100_0352.jpg100_0351.jpg Pictures of my small collection. (top only in pic #1).
    Last edited by dave; 06-09-2016 at 07:26.
    You can never go home again.

I'll have to go and check to be sure or remaining locations... but I'm positive that my Toyo Kogyo 31 and Nagoya 7 both have the matching numbers on the bolt handle, safety knob, firing pin, extractor, and (I think) trigger guard. My Toyo also has the number on the action cover too (Nagoya doesn't have the cover - lost when sporterized).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Great collection! I like your Swedes. I have one myself, 1913 Carl Gustav M96...gorgeous!

I will say on my cursory look over of this rifle I did not see much numbering. I have a collection of other types of rifles, Mosins, Mausers, Enfields, US, etc, and it seems every country is prolific in marking, except towards their impending defeats (speaking to you Germany and Japan). I will definitely do a throughough look over and photography when I get it.

This of course will be the "gateway drug" to more Japanese weapons...amazing how that happens. I never used to want anything but US but now I find foreign weapons more interesting. I seem to show up late to the party though and am paying more for it. Gone are the sub-$100 Mosins/Enfields/M1 carbines etc...."sigh."

I can't wait to share the photos and info on this T99 and see what everyone thinks when I have better photos.

There is almost no consistency to "jap rifles". Even within a series rifles can be completely different. Some early rifles were heavily numbered. Late ones usually had the action numbered well but may or may not have other parts numbered. Even the late last ditch though generally have all bolt parts numbered except the main spring.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

This is fairly typical with military weapons. That is why I never say "never" or "always!"