Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice rifle!
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I've never before seen an 1896 stock and handguard in what appears to be Italian Walnut.
    The serial number places it's assembly somewhere around 11-96 to 12-96 calendar year.

I believe (due to lack of the JSA cartouche, and the seemingly greater wear to metal than wood) that that is a field replacement stock, which could well have been produced during the latter time frame when SA was using the Italian wood. Still an extremely nice rifle, and well worth the money spent.

Fred, you sure do take great photos!

Beautiful 96. As nice as they come.

Thank you fellas for your input and approval! He's got some neat stuff still. I'll get with him around the end of July when I go back to Kansas City for the big Missouri Valley Antique Gun Show. He and some other buddies of mine will be having four or five tables there.
    That's the show that the N.R.A. will be having their convention at and with this year at the same time. What a week end That will be!

One of the things that I want from him is a framed autographed photo of Theodore Roosevelt. He's got a lot of Spanish American War stuff including a 500 grain 45-70 bullet that has a 7mm Coppro/Nickel looking jacketed bullet imbedded into its side. They collided in mid flight. It came from a battlefield in Cuba. It was found and brought back with him by an old S.A. War veteran. A buddy of mine who recently passed on obtained it from the veteran back around 1940. I got it from him back in the 70's for $5.00 and sold it to my buddy the Sgt. Major for $20.00. He's the man who I just got my Krag from.
    Interestingly, my old army buddy the Sgt. Major who I got the Krag from is a grand nephew or some such of General Omar Bradley.
    He, my buddy George, can remember sitting on his uncle's knee as a little kid listening to the stories that man had to tell.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-08-2016 at 06:07.