1. Default Early .45 brush help

Hi, I finally found some WWI .45 cal fiber brushes to complete my 1912 squad kit. The 9 brushes I bought are different from the 4 I had. The "new" ones have about 2" of bristle while the "old" ones only have 1 3/8". What has been noted about these? In trying to research this it appears that repos may have been made at some point too. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

Yeah, it doesn't always work that way. Sitting here in a box is a specific pliers. Specific maker and model. Incredibly hard little bugger to find that was. The exact item called for by the specification for the arms repair chest I'm assembling. The problem is the other one. Also specific. Even harder to find. As in "I haven't found one in three years of looking." The specification you see. It has those awful words. "or equivalent." Do I keep looking or just accept the equivalent as I'm about 99.9% positive the "equivalent" was used in the great bulk of the chests?

So the question is do you think they followed the specification for those brushes exactly or accepted equivalents?

If you're looking for the brush that matches the specification exactly, the lowest brush in your first photo is it. The other two do not.

3. Default

I understand there could be variations. I guess I should rephrase the question..

Are any or all of the pictured brushes know to be GI?

I was sure the short ones were OK, but now I am questioning them as the just look too new. Bought them as NOS.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy69 View Post
    I understand there could be variations. I guess I should rephrase the question..

Are any or all of the pictured brushes know to be GI?

I was sure the short ones were OK, but now I am questioning them as the just look too new. Bought them as NOS.
    I suppose you could submit brass samples from the one matching the specification to see the source of the copper. The brush material could perhaps be tested as well. Otherwise how would you tell? I know of another method but I'd still not be sure.

Let's say I have an existing cleaning rod from that kit and I take it to a quality brass maker. Have them turn out 1,000 of them. Bury them in the backyard in gun oil for a decade. How would you tell they were copies? To what level do you take it? Sometime there are ways and sometimes it's harder. So let's take those brushes. Let's assume that multiple brush companies made them and, thus, they have small variations. If I followed the design and materials today how would you tell? "Poor quality." So if they were done poorly you'd maybe be able to tell. Otherwise maybe not.

The bristle material is something that can be used as a guide but that's getting pretty esoteric. The threads as well but, again, getting pretty deep.

The bottom of the three in that first photo matches the specifications as a general level. Detailed measurements of certain parts could maybe shed more light but that's pretty myopic. The other two do not match the specification. So if you really want to get detailed only use ones matching that bottom one.

I have 5 WW1 kits. These are all of the brushes that are Not brass bristle. Some variation.http://imgur.com/a/dznc1

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1563621 View Post
    I have 5 WW1 kits. These are all of the brushes that are Not brass bristle. Some variation.http://imgur.com/a/dznc1
    Spec calls for the bristle section to be 1.93". Small variation to that expected.
    Bristles should be 6.5 turns per inch.

7. Default

Thanks 1563621, looks like my short brushes are suspect then.