Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Krag #45, etc.

Item 22249. It's not often one sees an original M-1896 Cadet stock. "My God, the M-1896s are in the 22K range!!!" Either that or they're on altered M-1892s now. Side plate is late. "Curved rear" late. It's not wearing a lugged rifle sight.

I wish 22K was the correct range! But no, I believe they used parts as you've said, and it's likely the armorers at Westpoint had parts. Perhaps the replacement stocks they got weren't done until about the time the 1896 museum pieces were made, with a thicker wrist. I still believe all but the museum pieces were 1895 marked receivers. I think the cadet stocks were used for rebuilds, after the woodshop got done with them. Some of them managed to get back on 1896 Cadet rifles after they were done, others were used for rebuilds, later on. That woodwork is tedious, took awhile. Might have been one guy's job to do all 400 of them! Noted no bolt hold open notch, like my 22018.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 06-14-2016 at 11:56.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson