Default 1903-A1 rear-sight collar ??

I recently picked up a 1903-A1 Springfield that has been 'sportered'. Serial number is 1,492,690 and full length barrel is stamped S.A. 11/35. I am returning it to a military configuration as a shooter (bore is excellent).

Regrettably, the rear-sight collar has been ground flat. How difficult is the collar to remove, once the cross-pin has been driven out?

Does anyone have a good source for this part (S.A. with lightening grooves)?

IMG_5221-ed.jpgIMG_5187.JPG

The rear sight collar is pressed on tightly. It will not likely come off easily. You will probably have to do some cutting and/or grinding to loosen it and produce a notch where you can get a hammer and punch on it.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Thank you John. You clearly answered the disassembly question. Much obliged!

Cool

Getting the old collar off and installing a new one is tedious gunsmithing at best. Most of us old guys have had to do it at least once. Good luck.
    Last edited by Alkali; 06-05-2016 at 09:38.

I have found it much easier to replace the rear sight base when the barrel has be removed first.

Getting the cross pin out is often the hardest part of this job, at least for me. The angled surface doesn't lend itself to being driven well....
    After that pin is out, I install a busted moveable rear sight base on there, and drive on that. It's not as likely to deform as readily as hitting it in other places.
    A bit of heat will probably help, I've found grease and crud under there that acts a lot like glue that's been in there for 70 years.
    Good luck, glad it's you and not me. I hope I've done my last one.

Your best way to get that collar off that has been ground flat is either to use John Beards method or remove the barrel and with a 4" grinder cut through the cross pin that Darreld mentioned then you can force the sleeve off. To get a replacement I found they are getting hard to come by. But Numrich usually has a few. I've done a number of these and they are never any fun.

Hello,
    I have a couple of lightening grooved collars. If interested, email and I'll send you some pictures.
    Thanks
    Bob
    bowhunter1903@aol.com

Update on my project 1903:

Thank you Gentlemen for your suggestions on how to remove a ruined 1903 rear-sight collar. I have been accumulating parts and 'Springfield3' was kind enough to sell me a salvaged sight collar.

I removed the old collar today and installed the "new" one. A better matching hand-guard and a front barrel-band/bayonet lug will complete my project (S.A. 11/35) 'Shooter'.

I am using an old "S" Stock, because that is my favorite configuration.

IMG_5221-ed.jpgIMG_5715.JPGIMG_5718.JPG