Thread: 1957 30-06

Default 1957 30-06

HI, I was given a few rounds of 1957 30-06 . Most was LC But a few are marked TW 57. I guess it is U.S. military ? Who is T.W.? One black tip AP and one orange tracer.
    Rich

TW is Twin Cities Ordnance Plant, Minneapolis, MN.
    http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes
    Spelling and grammar count!

Save it for a nice display.

Default 1957 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Richardrose View Post
    HI, I was given a few rounds of 1957 30-06 . Most was LC But a few are marked TW 57. I guess it is U.S. military ? Who is T.W.? One black tip AP and one orange tracer.
    Rich
    Hi again, I checked all the ammo and it all pulled with a magnet, Was all WW2 and Korean ammo AP ? Even the tracer pulled?

5. Default

If I remember correctly, during WWII many metals were scarce in supply, particularly copper and tin (major components of gilding metal bullet jackets). During the latter part of WWII and the most post war years, the army used a mild steel jacket coated to look like the original M2. It was found to be satisfactory. Some ranges do not like steel jacketed ammo due to fire danger.
    During WWII. it was found that there was a lot of metal on the battlefield so AP was widely used. It was standard practice to use M2 ball for training and M2 AP on the battle field, when available. It was generally more accurate and had a longer range than M2 ball. Its higher sectional density gives it a better ballistic coefficient. I do not know about the Korean War but would imagine that M AP was widely used extensively there also. After the Korean war I worked with a rifle club that received a yearly supply of qualification ammunition from the DCM. Some lots of Den 42 M2 AP would shoot very well out to 600 yards, almost on a par with early M72 Match. It seems to me that most of the ammo that we were supplied was corrosive M2 AP. I have shipping cases that I salvaged an they are all marked M2 AP and are all war time production. Army policy was to use up old stock first-hence the corrosive AP. The army seemed to have a lot of M2 AP in the 1960's.Duing the 1970,s the DCM furnished M2 ball to clubs for qualification firing-free of charge, it the club picked it up at the depot. All of it had a mild steel jacket.
    FWIW.
    Last edited by Cosine26; 06-05-2016 at 09:52.

Thanks, It all makes sense. I will put with my WW1 ammo Now I need some WW2.
    Thanks,
    Rich

What kind of WW2 ammo do you seek?