Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bringing a knife to a knife fight.

Having just buying the first serious knife in my life, I checked out the videos from the local knife fighting school. Very disturbing. Not sword fighting but a cage match with sharp things. I have seen forensic photos of knife wounds and now I know how they happened. This not the stuff of the movies, and I have discovered that it is easy to find yourself, holding with both hands, keeping your intestines from hitting the floor. I have never understood knives and now I have much respect. Rather a sniper rife at 600 yards for me.

2. Default

Local prosecutor is very into martial arts both as a discipline and for defense. I think he went down to Gunsite for a knife session. If you are really interested in learning I'll get some info from him.

Blog Entries

I know it's Hollywood, but I always think about this scene when I think of a knife fight.

https://youtu.be/gkccqolaVGg
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Re: Knife fight. Sometimes... it's not so bad. Idiot pulled a knife on me one afternoon in the street out in front of the house. No he was not a trained Hollywood skilled knife fighter. Good for me. I was not a highly trained hood qualified hand to hand fighter. Good for him. End result... I didn't need stitches and he didn't end up in the emergency room. Later down the road, we ended up learning how to get along with one another.

Real knife fight doesn't last long. Had a friend that got jumped one night as were were walking down Canal in New Orleans to MacDonalds. The guy with the knife stuck him one time in the stomach. Didn't kill him. He ran. My friend... glad ambulance got there quickly. Doing in home family therapy and crisis intervention... had a client pull a butcher knife out from under the cushion of the couch and try to go to work with it on the lady from DFACS. That little room got tight quick. We punched through the screen door and out into the front yard. Got his knife away and the dude ran to his car and got another one! What a mess! Ended up w/ a 2x4 stub... little more reach than his knife. Kept telling the DFACS lady to call 911. She kept saying no. Finally the man's girl friend got the police to the house. Went home that day with just a few bad scrapes... but no cuts! Last experience w/ a knife being swung in earnest was in the summer of 1995. I was leading a Bible study for teenaged boys. Some of them were a bit rough. One got mad and stood up acting all big and bad. I stood up and then he pulled a knife out of his boot. He was hot about a lot of things and apparently figured he'd lower his frustration level by whittling me down a notch or two. Whole business lasted less than maybe 20 seconds. He didn't get his arm broke, but it did get stretched real hard. Told him to go home and not come back until he could leave the knife at the house. Told the deacons that night what had happened as they'd heard I'd been in a fight. They thought it was funny. Didn't like it when they found out about the knife. They hadn't heard that part. Kept that little bible study going for several more years. Never had another problem on that level. Since then... 21 years and no one has pulled a knife. Only six years from retirement. Who knows... maybe kids are leaving their knives at home. Don't know. Do know... if someone starts in with a knife... distance is your friend. Move. Pick up whatever you can get your hands on that will give you a chance to back them off. Keep moving. Don't run b/c they'll be behind you. Keep talking to them. Let 'em know that you don't want to mess them up but that if they come on in, they're going to the hospital no matter what they do to you. So far... has worked for me. Hopefully will not again have to fool around with such people. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I know it's Hollywood, but I always think about this scene when I think of a knife fight.[/video]
    A really fun movie. Too bad the morons on hollywood can't dig up that level of creativity more often than once every few decades.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Quote Originally Posted by IditarodJoe View Post
    A really fun movie. Too bad the morons on hollywood can't dig up that level of creativity more often than once every few decades.

have you ever seen the version with the deleted scenes and the alternate ending?

Blog Entries

For those that have never been there, strolling down Canal street in New Orleans looks innocuous, it's the border of the French Quarter where the tourist play. It has a streetcar rail down the middle and looks all charming. There is no way in hell I'd walk down that street alone and unarmed late at night, the thugs target drunk tourist coming off Bourbon Street.
    I be Art can back that up.

I use a passport wallet with a lanyard there. I keep a few bucks in my pocket and a bit more in the walet tied to my belt that is down my thigh with an expired drivers license for ID.

Knife vs gun by two pros.

https://youtu.be/2fjMpn7JCJ0
    Last edited by PhillipM; 06-05-2016 at 05:43.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    have you ever seen the version with the deleted scenes and the alternate ending?
    No! Is it online?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    No! Is it online?

not that I could find. it came on the disk.

Thanks for the heads up, free1954. I just looked at our DVD . . . the alternative scenes and original (longer) ending are on the BACK of the disk. We've watched that movie a half dozen times and never realized they were there! The alternative scenes are interesting and worth watching if you like the movie, but all in all I think the producers made right decisions across the board.
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 06-05-2016 at 02:04.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997