1. Default Carbine Value Question

Got a friend has offered me an Inland carbine, metal is still parkerized, stock has been refinished, bad part is that it has a scope mounted so holes have been drilled in the side of receiver. It is a good clean job of mounting and is a nice scope though. He still has the original adjustable rear sight so it could be put back to iron sights but would still have mounting holes. Included with it are 8 to 10 fifteen round mags, a five round mag, and I think it has four 30 round mags with the mag pouches for all but the five round. Has an original USGI bayonet. Also has around 200 rounds ammo.
    My question is, since I don't usually bother with this type carbine, and wouldn't have mentioned this one if not offered to me, what is the opinion here of what would be a good price for the rifle? And keep in mind that I would probably keep it for a while but eventually would sell. thanks.

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Probably $50 to $60 for the ammo, each mag would be $12 to $15 and the 30 rounders a bit more. The pouches are $15 to $20 each. Scope would depend on type and make. Bayonet would depend on whether it's an early or late model. The Carbine really has NO collectors value anymore with the drilled holes but as a shooter still has some value. It would only be would $200 plus or minus to me. This would be a very rough guide and I'm sure that others have more to add.

A gun worth little to a collector is often worth a little more to a person who wants it for a shooter, for whatever reason.

With "repro" carbines by Kahr going for $900.00 plus and the number of people looking for a sound pure shooter carbine for a home defense or "truck gun," my guess on the current value of the carbine alone would be $375.00 to $450.00 depending on a lot of factors like barrel wear. Monetarily its probably worth more parted out than intact. I personally know people who want a shooter carbine who aren't willing to pay for a collectable one, in fact I have a friend who's looking high and low for a carbine like this one without success.

Since its a friend, and I'm especially spooky about ever being accused of chiseling a friend, I'd probably offer about $350.00 which I would consider the low end of fair for the carbine alone. That's just me though. Duane Hansen's estimate (or understandable non estimate on items like the bayonet) of the prices for everything else seem in line to me. I will say value of 30 round mags is higher if they are GI, lower if they are not. Any countries' GI brings a premium over commercial, and USGI brings a premium over that. I lucked into an FN manufactured AYP marked 30 round GI mag a few years ago for $15.00 and its a darn good mag but you can't expect to get that lucky every day!!
    Last edited by Art; 06-02-2016 at 12:00. Reason: Completeness, syntax

4. Default

Art, the rifle is in Tn. If your friend would be interested I can pass the info along and see if the two want to make contact to work out a deal. PM me and I can get the info sent as soon as you let me know if he wants to.

The rifle is worth roughly half of what it would if there was no scope. Like ART says, I'd guess $375.00 to $450.00 as a shooter. Zero collector value. I really don't get the idea of scoping any carbine. Never mind an M1 Carbine.
    Gunparts wants $17.75 for a 5 round mag(made out of 15 rounders and were never issued by any military). New original 15 rounders are $39.95. $19.95 with surface rust. $49.95 for a BNIB, still in the wrap Irwin Petersen mag. $29.95 for 'used' minor surface rust, Parkerized 15's.
    $24.95 for a newly made 30 rounder. $39.95 for an AYP marked 30 with "minor wear". $34.95 for a "used, fair condition" 30. Look in poor condition to me.
    "...original USGI bayonet..." Condition matters a bunch. Gunparts lists "damaged Issue bayonets at $59.99 with no scabbard. Very good to excellent Dutch M4's run $95.75 with no scabbard. $100 with a scabbard.
    Ammo will depend on who made it.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Offer $550.00. All he can say is no.

7. Default

He actually shot me a price of $600. It's a nice rifle, but I agree that you have to wonder what they were thinking putting a scope on it. That's really the only reason that I have NOT already bought it is that it's value is shot by the scope. I will have to check on the mags and bayonet and see about more info on them. I know the 15 round mags are USGI by the stamps. Not sure of the rest but I may take joem's advice and try the $550.
    Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty T. View Post
    He actually shot me a price of $600. It's a nice rifle, but I agree that you have to wonder what they were thinking putting a scope on it. That's really the only reason that I have NOT already bought it is that it's value is shot by the scope. I will have to check on the mags and bayonet and see about more info on them. I know the 15 round mags are USGI by the stamps. Not sure of the rest but I may take joem's advice and try the $550.
    Thanks for your input.
    I think also think $550,00 is fair offer for the lot.....

$600 is a tiny bit high, but not out of the question. I agree with the $550 level. If he hesitates, offer to split the difference.