Default Winchester Model 94 30WCF

I picked up an old Winchester at auction which numbers to 1942. It has honest wear from being in a scabbard as a working rifle and the action works just fine and the bore is surprisingly nice with very good rifling. I removed the butt plate for a soaking in Kroil as it had some light surface rust. To my surprise there was a note under the butt plate as old as the gun written on an old railroad piece of paper showing a transfer from one person to another. I contacted the auction folks and discovered it came from an old family collection out west. My gunsmith has it now as I always have any old gun inspected for safety purposes...I'm just itching to put some rounds through it. Here's a few pics and all comments are welcome. Rich. 100_1683.jpg100_1684.jpg100_1687.jpg100_1685.jpg100_1681.jpg
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN

what exactly does that paper read--- 27th what? (last line of top section).
    You can never go home again.

"...there was a note..." Hand written bill of sale. Provenance up the ying-yang. Even though nobody has ever heard of Bill or Howard.
    Light surface rust is dealt with using 0000 steel wool and light oil. Takes the rust off without bothering the remaining finish. Faster to use a light touch with a brass wire wheel in a bench grinder.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    what exactly does that paper read--- 27th what? (last line of top section).
    Hey Dave, I have no idea..whatever 27th the best or whatever the word is. Maybe has something to do with the railroad co the note is written on..Burlington Northern? Sure would like to find out. Thank you for the interest. Rich.
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN