Default Marlin Model 39A

I lucked into this at an estate sale in the small town that I reside in. It is a Marlin Model 39A lever action .22 cal from 1956. I had one years ago but let it get away. The previous owner put a sling swivel stud right through the bullseye and it was missing the the front sight hood. An easy fix. Here' a few pics and thanks for looking. Rich. 100_1668.jpg100_1665.jpg100_1667.jpg100_1674.jpg100_1675.jpg
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN

2. Default

Does that have Micro-groove rifling or conventional? Almost bought one of that vintage which was pre-Micro-groove.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Does that have Micro-groove rifling or conventional? Almost bought one of that vintage which was pre-Micro-groove.
    Micro-Groove rifling. Rich
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN

Very very nice!

Beautiful rifle. One of the finest lever-action .22 rifles ever designed or produced. The ones I've fired have been extremely accurate. A receiver sight allows even better accuracy. Enjoy! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Nice looking rifle - Every young man needs an old Marlin 39 in his 'wardrobe' !!!!

Very Nice !!! My first thought was "is it micro-groove" or before then. As a gunsmith, I knew the change over was mid 50's but still don't know the exact date. I see them seldom in the shop for repairs and almost never see one traded in for a "new" gun. They hold their value well. A new one ( if Marlin ever makes anymore ) is over $600 retail.

I mowed grass all summer long in 1972 to earn enough to buy mine. ( Mom had to do 4473, still have it and it appears in as new condition ) It was right at <$100 with tax and a 4X Marlin (cheap) scope. The amazing thing is it will shoot one ragged hole at 25yds with anything from cheap promo loads to premium stuff.

Hope your's shoots as well !!

Thanks for posting pics,

Emri
    Last edited by Emri; 06-01-2016 at 10:24.