Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I did weigh charges in a lot of Turkish ammo. that how I found out the charges varied by 3 to 4 grains. Along with cases being spilt which made pulling the bullets easy to pull. I made test loads and chrono them. Pull down enough of them and you get several 8# jugs of powder. When I ran out of bullets I went to Sierra and bought factory seconds. Cheap shooting.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by musketshooter View Post
    It is easy to do. Why reduce the powder charge? Most people pull down surplus ammo to salvage the bullet and powder. Some of us decap the corrosive primers and reload with new NC primers.
    I have pulled down thousands of bullets from Turk ammo. I have found the powder weight to be very consistent but when running the bullets across a chronograph 2,900 fps is a little fast. I reduced the powder load from 49 to 45 grains and I formed 30/06 cases to 8mm57 to get rid of the Berdan primers.

Then there is case splitting with the Turk cases, I have never found one split before firing but I have at least 3 out of 10 cases split when fired.

That leaves the ‘why?’ The case always splits longitudinal. The split could indicate a shaped charger of powder laying/caked on the side of the case or gas escaping past the neck and shoulder of the case when fired. When the pressure inside the case drops the gas trapped between the case and chamber could be causing the case to split, I do find the Turk cases to be brittle, instead of the case collapsing because of the pressure trapped between the case and chamber I believe the cases are splitting.

F. Guffey

http://www.turkmauser.com/ammo.aspx

3. Default

I pulled down about 40 rounds of Yugo 53 surplus 8mm. The results were no corrosion,powder looks like the day it was loaded
    loads were a consistent 41 Gr. I reduced the load 10% after neck sizing. The recoil was very much reduced,point of impact was about the same as we were firing off hand.The only down side was that we had three click no bang failures (bad primers)
    Thanks to all who responded.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by L Bruce View Post
    I pulled down about 40 rounds of Yugo 53 surplus 8mm...... The only down side was that we had three click no bang failures (bad primers)
    Thanks to all who responded.
    I know you know and I understand you pulled the bullets but on old ammo there is a chance powder can cake; if this happens on the primer end of the case ignition can be delayed. Meaning I would be in no hurry when opening the bolt after a failure to fire.

F. Guffey