Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .308 M1 ejection problem

I built a M1 in .308 and it runs flawlessly but the cases eject right at my forehead, my glasses and brim of my hat. I read somewhere one of the springs has to be cut but I don't remember if it is the ejector or extractor spring or is there another solution?

Full face shield? 8-)

3. Default

It's the ejector spring. I took about 1 1/2 coils off the spring and it helped. Missed me but was ejecting to the rear before the change.

Thanks Bill E . I'll try it this weekend. Rifle is starting to make me flinch.

The M1 is designed to eject brass to about one or two o'clock. Brass ejected to the rear indicates the rifle has slow bolt velocity. This is usually the result of something binding, dragging, or a gas port that is too small. Never enlarge a gas port until all other possible issues are eliminated. The gas port for the .308 M1 should be .097 to .105 diameter.

6. Default

Thanks for the gas port info Ted. I remember reading that government manufactured .308 barrels (by Springfield I believe) in 1965 had improper sized gas ports and that the error was corrected in the 1966 produced barrels using a different drawing number also I think.

7. Default

You may want to try a M14 ejector with the Garand spring.

GCA article says Garand gas port diameters are to be:

30-06 = .0795" or .080" (#46 drill bit)

.308 = .1065" MAX! (#36 drill bit)

This information is correct, but never start with the largest diameter. I've found that in most .308 M1s .105 or larger results in a violent ejection cycle.

but never start with the largest diameter.-

That's sensible.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.