Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rear sight question

What years were the deeper U notch on the rear sight elevation bar used and for what reason was it deeper if there is any.

I'm not sure the actual sighting notch depth is any different between the various versions. The recess around the notch certainly changed, but I'm not sure when that was done. As to why... I've never seen a documented explanation of the design change. My opinion is that the deeper recess reduces glare when the ladder is down, and more naturally draws your eye to the notch when the ladder is up.

I gues I made an error what I meant to say is the recess area not the notch.

If I understand the question correctly. The rear sight slide was modified during WWII to facilitate faster and cheaper manufacture. These slides are made to a simpler design making for cost cutting measures leading ultimately to the A3 design changes.

Nope there is an early one with a larger recess area.

I can't down load photos for some reason but here are two photos from ebay

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aBkAAO...mB/s-l1600.jpg Larger recess

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ugcAAO...IO/s-l1600.jpg Smaller recess

Allen your answer makes sense, same thought I had just wondered more about it.
    Last edited by louis; 05-20-2016 at 01:04.

Dave's explanation makes sense too. The part appears simpler to make. Entirely possible that Remington or a contractor asked for and received an authorization to alter the design. The previously mentioned benefits may have been a happy coincidence. Also, it isn't difficult to imagine that the newer design might have ended up on an older leaf.---again, just speculating.

I know for sure it is not a R marked Remington part

Did Sedgly make these slides possibly? And if so does anyone know what time period?
    Last edited by louis; 05-20-2016 at 11:48.

According to Brophy, the rear sight slide with "the deeper U notch" appeared in Springfield Armory drawings dated 1938 or 1939. But I am skeptical that Springfield Armory ever made any. Most of the ones I have seen were made by WWII spare parts contractors, including Perry Point and Oneida, Limited. The slides come in several different styles.

Hope this helps.

J.B.