Default S&W/Federal 125 gr. SWCHP Nyclad Bullet - Score!

I was running the roads today and stopped into a little gun shop. While I was hanging out there an old boy showed up with some ammo to dump off. Most of it was reloads to the owner wasn't interested in that stuff but he was interested in some very old, almost vintage Remington and Winchester rifle ammo that he was willing to give the fellow $20.00 for. Also there was a partial (29 rounds) box of the above ammunition.

The 125 gr. SWCHP Nyclad, also known as the Chief Special load (and so indicated on this S&W box) is still one of the most desirable "snubbie" loads. They are actually higher pressure though not marked +P and push the bullets at about 860 fps from a 1 7/8" Chief Special barrel. They are also, especially in the older incarnation, almost completely unavailable and while still made today in a round nose hollow point are mostly limited production for cop agencies. Well we worked out a deal and I got them for $20.00. A fair price for a desirable item I thought that is otherwise unavailable to me. Well....new carry ammo. I'll test fire four and then they'll be set aside for times I carry my Model 40.
    Last edited by Art; 05-19-2016 at 12:34.