Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1 Garand rebarreling Question

I bought a 43 date Springfield a couple of months ago , and finally shot it the other day. After looking at the ejected cases I did something I should have done before purchase. I got a set of head space gauges and checked it. It would close on a no go gauge with no resistance. New barrel time I guess. I would like to put a Springfield bbl back on it, but I suppose it would be a roll of the dice on good head space there. Has anyone here had experience with the CMP service for rebarreling ? Any other suggestions ?

Tom

2. Default

Find somebody local who focuses on Garands and put on a Criterion.

A No-Go gauge is not what you want for your purposes. Have you checked it with a Field headspace gauge?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Rgr. check with field guage before making rash decisions. A new SA M1 barrel will require reaming for headspace.

The primers were backing out way too far for me. I believe that the CMP sells Criterions, and will install them also. I was hoping to hear from someone that had used them
    Also I was referring to an original Springfield bbl. as I would like to keep it correct. I don't have a pull through reamer, so barreling it here would entail a lot of on and off and I don't think I will wear out the bbl out in my lifetime, hence don't want to buy one for one barreling job. A used bbl would have to line up pretty close to fit right and I don't know If I want to risk buying one off Gunbroker that I couldn't return.
    Last edited by tbryan; 05-16-2016 at 02:35.

6. Default

Would a different bolt make a difference?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I wondered if another bolt would correct it. I would have to find some and try them until I got one right. Kind of like buying a correct bbl and hoping that it would not be too deep in the chamber.

Put the Criterion barrel on it. I doubt a different bolt would help if the primers are backing out, I believe the -12sa or the -14sa bolt is longer, don't know by how much
    . You could go to the expense of the bolt and still have it short. So the money into barrel, I feel is more fiscally sound.
    liberum aeternum

I've a few questions, Tom. First, do you know the throat erosion and muzzle wear readings on the current barrel? Second, what is the part number on the bolt that's in the rifle now? Finally, when you were getting backed out primers what sort of ammunition were you firing?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

In addition to IdidarodJoe's question... Were these factory or reloads... and if reloads, were they loaded for hunting? Garand rifles shouldn't shoot a hot load as you can damage things like the OP rod. I agree on the Criterion barrel... they are no less correct than anything else. Remember that if a Garand went through an arsenal rebuild, it might not have had the same parts installed, including a new barrel anyway. Criterion makes excellent barrels. CMP armorers can install, ream, and properly headspace it for you, and when done, it will function like brand new! If you don't want to have the CMP do it, then you can take it to Dean's or Shuff's instead!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo