Default I need to talk through a decision to restore or part out

Here is my story, I have collected over time 3 Krags, none of which are correct and un-fussed with. First is a sporter that is in a Bishop stock which was drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver. It has neither front or rear sight. I found a side mount scope mount that fits but needs so much shimming to allow a scope to find point of impact it is laughable. the second is a cut down that has a 1903 style front sight. I bought a front band which I have not mounted on it but may do so and it will be close to a Constabulary configuration. The third was attacked by a #### with a hack saw who just cut off the barrel to just about 21 in. I bought it .... I don't know why. So here is my thoughts. Take the rear sight off the stubby barrel rifle and mount it on the sporter and try and find a 1903 style front sight with a band and plug the side mount holes or just keep the Constabulary length rifle and part out the cut down and the sporter as neither are in any way close to restorable. the barrel on the sporter is thicker than my 1903 rifles. I don't know where the NRA found front sights when they did their modifications. I was thinking of pulling the barrel on the sporter and putting it on the stubby un drilled receiver but most times barrels are not removed without being messed up. It is time to thin the herd. Thoughts? Anyone been where I am?

As we roll down the road of guns/hunting/shooting/etc. we ALL gather some moss. Doesn't sound like any of 'em are worth keeping, OR putting any more money into. I'm guessing your $$$ involvement is not large? I'd scrap the lot- at a loss if you have to - then chip in a few new bucks and get one decent M1898 rifle that you can be proud of. It may even go up in value. What you have now won't, and, buggered Krags do NOT sell. Some pieces have been on Gunbroker for years, literally.

JBMauser - Dick Hosmer gave you very solid advice.

I do think you have to define what you want to accomplish: Collectible Krag, Hunting Rifle, Good Shooter for the Range, or 'Replica' of an issue model. You do not really seem to have parts that will make a correct looking Krag or a nice 'Replica'.

FWIW - I would take your Krag with the best bore (and hopefully best original metal finish) and make a facsimile of the DCM/NRA Carbine. These were produced, apparently at Benicia Arsenal for Civilian sale in the 1920s, using 22 inch carbine barrels, 1899 carbine stocks, and '03 Springfield banded front-sights. When they ran out of carbine parts, rifle barrels and stocks were cut down.

This makes a very handy and pleasant looking Krag. Suitable for Hunting and Target Range. The so called 'DCM carbine' was widely imitated by gun smiths, professional and amateur.

BTW - The arsenal stepped the 22" Krag barrels at the muzzle in order to fit the banded 1903 Springfield front-sight.

(The Philippine Constabulary and School Rifles were built from Model 1898 and 1899 Krag carbines and have a regular Krag front-sight. These arms have a shortened rifle stock and the repositioned front barrel-band/bayonet lug has to be stretched, to fit the larger diameter of the barrel contour. IMHO - A 1903 Springfield front sight would look totally wrong on a Constabulary rifle 'Replica'. The PC Rifle has a 22" inch carbine barrel, that is 'stepped' at the muzzle to take a bayonet).

If you have a cut-down Krag stock that can be made into a facsimile of the carbine stock by plugging the 'lightening channel', even the 21" barrel 'bubba' Krag can be made into a useful "faux DCM carbine". (The rifle sling-swivels can be a nice plus).

This may be a possible solution to your 'junk Krag' dilemma. Avoid investing any more $$$. It won't be worth any more, but, it can be fun and useful.

Faux-NRAcarb1.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 05-12-2016 at 09:30.

Thanks Butlersrangers, Your take on this put an interesting light on the matter. If I could pull the barrel from the "Sporter" without much damage and also from the "Chopped" rifle. I could shorten the sporter barrel to 22in. and mount it in a un-drilled receiver and as you said put it into the chopped carbine stock and fill the hole and just part out the bones of the Sporter. I saw where a guy snookered eBay's police and sold an entire Krag without the stock by never saying it had a receiver. just showed it in the pic. Sold it as Krag parts. Research is now in order. Thanks again. Jouster men come through!

JBMauser - Krag barrels usually interchange and index properly on different Receivers. Springfield Armory held relevant dimensions to a very high standard.

However, changing barrels should be done using a proper barrel clamping vise and 'action wrench'. For most of us, this will require the services of a gunsmith knowledgeable about Krags. These services are not cheap!

Krag Projects can be a 'money pit'. That's what Dick Hosmer is warning you about.