Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bayonet lug

Default Bayonet lug

When was the bayonet lug introduced on M1 carbines? I always thought it was after WW2, but, I see many carbines with bayonet lugs advertised as WW2 production. Thank you

I would say that the rec is ww2 and lug installed on rebuild.

I have read they were introduced just before war ended but few ever made it to combat. According to Craig Riesch book they were introduced in Oct.-Nov. 1944.
    You can never go home again.

4. Default

The first contracts for barrel bands with the bayonet lug, aka type 3, began in May 1944. By late 1944 they were showing up on Inland carbines and March 1945 for Winchester.

WWII photos of the Carbine with the bayonet lug are scare, and I have only seen photos from the Pacific showing the bayonet lug. There is a photo made behind a GI watching a B29 crash land in the Pacific ocean. He has a Carbine slung over his shoulder, and you can plainly see the bayonet lug.

Had a friend who was career Army officer before WWII started. He was a gun collector before WWII and remarked that he never saw a M1 Carbine in Europe with a bayonet lug during the war.

I thought all issue carbines were made during WWII, except Winchester which completed their contract in Sept. 1945. The bayonet lug was added in 1945, too late for Europe.
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Richardx View Post
    The bayonet lug was added in 1945, too late for Europe. Right?
    Lets see . . . bayonet lug introduced in Oct.-Nov. 1944. War in Europe ended in May 1945, 5-6 months later. Hmmmm . . . I would say, not right.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Let's see...since logic prevails, there should be lots of pictures of Carbines with bayonet lugs during fighting in Europe. Anyone have one? Very little close quarters fighting in Europe, but common in Pacific. Logically, could the Carbines with bayonet lugs have all been sent to the Pacific? The assault on Iwo Jima was being planned about that time.

Another discussion on bayonet lugs.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...09-Bayonet-lug

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Let's see...since logic prevails, there should be lots of pictures of Carbines with bayonet lugs during fighting in Europe. Anyone have one? Very little close quarters fighting in Europe, but common in Pacific. Logically, could the Carbines with bayonet lugs have all been sent to the Pacific? The assault on Iwo Jima was being planned about that time.

Another discussion on bayonet lugs.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...09-Bayonet-lug
    Johnny, your link takes you back to this thread. Is that the type of logic you were relying on for your other points?

A picture can serve as a starting point, or it can answer a trivia question, but it's mostly for entertainment. As the lawyers say, the absence of evidence does not provide evidence of absence. You can't push on a rope and expect results.

The first M2 Carbines arrived in the ETO before 20 Jan 45 (see CCNL 377). I would be pleased to hear Brian's opinion on whether these early M2s would have had Type 3 bands. I think the general consensus is that all factory made M2s did, but will defer to Brian. I think I am correct in saying that once production cranked up in Feb 45 that all M2s had them.

Tell us how many photos of M2s in the ETO that your method has located. Or, you could save yourself much rending of garments and gnashing of teeth and read the rest of the article in #377. (Spoiler alert: they got there, and getting them there didn't require photographs.

10. Default

Just add the photo of an M2 Carbine in Europe to the photo of a bayonet lug in Europe. If they were there somebody photographed at least one.

Cute sayings just don't prove a point either.