1. Default What model of US issue Colt DA revolver are these stocks from?

Came into a pair of walnut Colt stocks. I thought they were for a New Service when I got them, but they are a little smaller. After cleaning off the residue from three different kinds of tape, I've found some markings.

The right stock is marked RAC (I think, the script is hard to read) in a box. It is marked either 6666 or 1666 (or depending on which way is up, 9999 or 9991 on the inside in pencil.

The left stock has an oval cartouche that I can't quite make out and looks to be stamped 1896 above that. It is marked R.A.C. on the bottom and 9999 or 6666 on the inside in pencil.

I'm thinking these are off of a military Colt DA .38 revolver, but which of the many iterations of martial Colt revolvers would they have come from?

Also, the stock screw is missing, would this be the correct screw: www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/195390D.htm

Thanks.
    Last edited by M1Garandy; 05-08-2016 at 11:51.

Blog Entries

Possibly Model of 1909
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Model 1909 is a New Service. Probably one of the military DA Colts such as the 1892-1903 series.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Probably one of the military DA Colts such as the 1892-1903 series.
    That was my thinking, any idea how I might be able to pin down the specific model the are from based on the markings?

I'm trying to decipher the letters in the oval cartouche on the left panel. I think the first letter is a script H, but the rest of it is really hard to make out. I'm trying to find pictures online to compare this to. This revolver has a left stock panel that must be the same cartouche I'm looking at though I'm still not sure of the second letter: http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/co...38-colt-c11837
    Last edited by M1Garandy; 05-08-2016 at 12:20.

Guessing you have grips for a Model 1892….maybe. Colt put serial numbers for individual pistols, in pencil, on an inside surface of the grips for all their pistols from the Walkers on. Smith stamped the numbers. The problem for you arrises in the number. A 4 digit number is 1892 production. The Army revolvers were often returned for updates during their life and the 1896 date would normally be the date of manufacture. It might mean the date of update, instead, but most of the 1892's were updated to be 1894's. That would need research. The process of date over cartouche was begun in the SA Army production. A pencil number could mean the grips were to be replacement for the originals on a four digit number. Now the confusion continues: The inside number might be a partial serial number, 1896 or 1899, an attempt at the original serial number or something all together different. Most of the New Army's I've seen have the RAC on the bottom of the grip. The cartouche is usually RAC or JTT. If there is an H in some form that could be from the arsenal work done after original issue to service. They could be grips taken off a reworked gun or grips that never made it to an updated pistol for some unknown reason. My guess…..you may never know for sure, but there are some advanced Colt guys who might have a complete explanation.
    Last edited by 70ish; 05-11-2016 at 02:51. Reason: clarification

6. Default

Finally remembered to take some pics.
    Front (2).JPGLeft.JPGRight.JPG