1. Default 1894 Krag safety

I had my four digit Krag out in the open air giving it the once over and noticed the safety is all loose and floppy. Is that how it should be or should it have more resistance when I put it on and off safe?
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

It should be solid, quiet and require conscious effort to move on or off-position. Good thing to fix/get fixed is you plan on shooting this weapon.

Good luck!

jn

3. Default

The early safety lever is different from later ones and will seem to be loose.

4. Default

Refer to Mallory's book for comparison of the two levers.

The early ones that are pinned to the bolt shroud can seem loose when off, there's no spring tension on them as there is with the later safeties that have the ball and spring.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

6. Default

Even more trivia-there is a low pin and high pin sleeve on the early 1892 Krags and each has its own safety lever!