Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quartermaster Heebee Jeebies

My brother says when he goes into an Army surplus store he smells that 782 gear smell and gets these. Diesel smells always remind me of riding in deuce and a halfs. Any particular smells or sounds that bring back memories to you guys?

2. Default

GI canvas, burning JP4, cockpits of old sweaty aircraft and men who havent showered in recent history

To me, even on museum ships, every Navy ship interior smells of paint, grease/oil, sweat, pee and puke in varying degrees.

Tommy

On the one or two occasions since my Navy days when I've had access to truly fresh bananas, the smell has reminded me of all of the fresh fruit we got aboard ship in the Med in the early 1970s. Fresh bananas are to store-bought bananas what a fresh caught tuna steak is to Starkist.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

The only really awful smell I recall from my time in the Navy was the stench outside the galley at Great Lakes in 1964. I still remember that putrid, gut-twisting odor vividly but mercifully I've never run across anything like it since.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

C-130 exhaust in oppressive heat loading AC at Green Ramp, Ft. Bragg NC. One time crew chief was out of barf bags so handed out a 55 Gallon trash bag for us to share.... not a great idea. Steve McG

Yeah, raw sh!t and piss and that god awful numyuk (sp) I smelled everyday in 'Nam. Not to mention burning sh!t barrels.
    Last edited by Major Tom; 05-06-2016 at 12:25.

Add the smell of JP fuel exhaust to the burning sh!tters, especially for the first couple of days after malaria pills and even the maggots are gagging.
    Now picture the Vietnamese civilians that are burning the stuff in barrels searching for anything we may have dropped while using the 6 seaters and you will blow lunch for sure. At least it still makes me feel that way.
    48 years and that smell is still in my mind.
    Recovery was worse, but not as memorable.
    Last edited by nf1e; 05-07-2016 at 06:01.

"GI canvas smell".......also known as MRT (mildew resistant treatment)
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

The stale, foul odor that emits from a submarine when the hatch is opened after a patrol.