Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Loading .500 Tranter

Anybody ever load this ancient cartridge?

Hi. Nope, but it's also called .500 Revolver. Full name being .500-24-350. .520"(that you'd have to make) bullet weighing 350 grains with 24 grains of BP. Net search for '.500 Tranter' turns up hordes of sites.
    Alleged on another forum that cases can be made out of .500 S&W. Shortening and thinning the rim apparently.
    Kind of suspect most revolvers chambered in it will be too valuable to shoot.
    Cartridge dimensions are at the bottom here. http://members.shaw.ca/cstein0/revolver.htm
    Spelling and grammar count!

3. Default

I recently bought a Warant Model 1870 in that caliber, apparently carried by one C.B. Cook (later principal of a major Pittsburgh high school) while hunting buffalo out west. It apparently needs some work, but I have found a gunsmith who can fix 19th century revolvers, so I was planning to send it off, get it back in proper operating order, and shoot1.jpg it.

18.jpg
    Last edited by JD Zincavage; 05-04-2016 at 11:20.

4. Default

Thanks for the useful information. The gunsmith has about a one year backlog, so I have plenty of time to figure out how to load it.

What are the bore and cylinders like? Might be excessively expensive to fix that if they're heavily rusted.

6. Default

I haven't actually received it yet. The revolver is in the mail.

7. Default

It came today. The barrel has a little superficial rust, shows wear, but is not hideous. Cylinders look ok. It doesn't work, of course. Quite a large bore on this one. It really is .50 caliber.

10.jpg

Any idea what "T.A. & C." stands for?

8. Default

21.jpg24.jpg

Two more photos.
    Last edited by JD Zincavage; 05-08-2016 at 09:35.

Hi. I'm not seeing 'Warrant' anywhere. Might be one of a bazillion revolvers purchased by Brit officers. They had to buy all their kit until W.W. I. Still have to buy their sword.
    Not seeing "T.A. & C." anywhere either but it's likely the name of the shop or smithy.
    I wonder if the '500' is the S/N. Doesn't look exactly shootable from the picture though.

Hi. I'm not seeing 'Warrant' anywhere. Might be one of a bazillion revolvers purchased by Brit officers. They had to buy all their kit until W.W. I. Still have to buy their sword.
    Not seeing "T.A. & C." anywhere either but it's likely the name of the shop or smithy. Lotta Webley and Tranter revolver in that fella's back ground.
    I wonder if the '500' is the S/N.