Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default German K98 Buttplate Numbering

I am currently looking at a K98 Mauser, but I don't know that much about them. The current owner claims that the rifle is an all matching example. I have examined it and all numbers do appear to match. The only thing that concerns me is that the buttplate is not numbered. I have seen other K98s before that had stamped numbered buttplates. Did original rifles all had numbered plates ? If not, about when did they drop the numbering of buttplates ?

You didn't mention who made it or when it was made.

If I remember correctly, it is a bnz made in either 1943 or 1945.

Correction - 1943 or 1944.

A bnz (Steyr) made in either 1943 or 1944 would not have a serial numbered butt plate. As production continued less and less parts were serial numbered. 1942 was the last year the butt plate was numbered on the bnz.

Johnny, thank you for your quick response. Now, I am going to try to purchase this rifle. I currently own a good number of Mausers, but this would be my first German.
    Again, thanks for the info.

I believe numbered butt plates stopped with the cup-stamped type. I have never seen one with a number. While I do not have every year I have 7 cupped and none have a number, one is a 1941. Cupped plates were adopted in 1940, tho it probably took a year or so for the change to be fully carried out at all plants.
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I believe numbered butt plates stopped with the cup-stamped type. I have never seen one with a number. While I do not have every year I have 7 cupped and none have a number, one is a 1941. Cupped plates were adopted in 1940, tho it probably took a year or so for the change to be fully carried out at all plants.
    I own a matching byf 41 cupped buttplate that has a numbered buttplate. Many were early on but production needs led to the practice being abandoned.
    Last edited by mike webb; 05-10-2016 at 06:37.

1941 could be in that 'year or so for all plants to change' or to drop the numbering if it continued with the cupped plates. Would have to see later years numbered to nail it down. But I think it is safe to say "few" cupped type were numbered. Correction: I goofed my 41 is a Banner Mauser and it does have a number, my byf 42 does not nor does none later then 41 have one, no matter the maker. Another clue?
    Lets hear from others on this!
    You can never go home again.