1. Default Can anyone give me info on Rock Island Armory M2 conversions?

I have a line on an Inland M2 that appears to be an overstamp. I thought I was looking at a GI gun but the Form 4 has Rock Island Geneseo, IL as the manufacturer. I know this outfit is a commercial cousin of Springfield Armory, Inc. and did M2 conversions in the 80's. Can anyone out there tell me RI did to these guns? Were they taking surplus M2's and registering/selling them or were they taking surplus M1s and converting them/overstamping them? Any other general information would be greatly appreciated...can't find much out there.

Is your serial number in the range of the M2's? Mine is a Rock Island also and in in the 7051xxx range of serial numbers. It is also an overstamp. I believe it
    is a conversion as all the parts in the trigger group were not Inland. Hard to tell what was going on during those last days of MG registration.

3. Default

Yeah, atlas, thats what I'm trying to figure out. It IS in the correct block of serial numbers for an Inland M2. I would've thought with all of the Carbine experts around, there would be more info about what these guys did to them. All the RIA's I see seem to be in the M2 serial range, so they could've just been papering surplus guns. How does yours run?

4. Default

If it has a 2 stamped over a 1 it left the Inland facility as an M1 Carbine.

mine runs good wit Lake City ammo. It has problems with PMC and the white box ammo. Agula runs ok. I don't shoot very much anymore. Been shooting 22lr target rifles most of the time now.

They converted M1 carbines to M2 select fire guns, marked them via overstamp and registered them. As far as I know they used all GI parts. The receiver is the registered part and they are not considered C&R guns.

Bob D