Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Central California at the southend of Yosemite

DSC_0223.jpgDSC_0224.jpgDSC_0242.jpgDSC_0238.jpgDSC_0239.jpg The ammo box is wrapped in plastic wrap as a protection
    Last edited by Dick Craig; 04-28-2016 at 09:17.

I believe your SH rounds are a bit later than mine, evidenced by the cannelure (sp) ring and colorful box. But the date range is about the same....turn of the century. I always found it odd that FA ammunition always included a date in the hs, but contract ammo usually didn't.
    Arms technology was changing at an increasing rate, and TD firearms and ammunition, even though still in NG armories, were shortly to be surplussed to vendors like Bannerman. Which I believe is where a lot, if not most, of today's collectibles came from. Even in post-depression years, it was hard to ignore $5 rifles and ammo for a penny a round. lee

Central California at the southend of Yosemite

Yeah penny a round vs today's costs. I am setting up to reload 45-70 for my Marlin Guide Gun and I've had primers and powder for a long time as well as brass but 100 bullets cost about $.70 each (2 different bullets). Without the components I already had I would easily exceed $1.00 each to reload. Oh well just another weakness I've acquired over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee T. View Post
    Here's some photos you might find interesting. These are in line with the thread. The SH box is the one with the 500 gr. bullet, the carbine UMC 45 Govt. (45-55-405) is the "reloading" box. You could also visit Dick Hosmer's excellent "Picture Trail" web site for lots of old cartridge/boxes pictures. I'll let him give you the link. lee
    Thanks - that would be www.picturetrail.com/sa4570af

Thanks for posting the link. I enjoyed the tour of your cartridges and rifles very much!
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Mr. Hosmer - any new information about the timeline for your next book?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Nothing concrete. The ms is finished, aside from occasionally updating the serial number lists and adding tidbits here and there as I become aware of them. Photography is 98% done and those "missing" COULD just be omitted, but I'm striving to do the best job possible in the small format. This time I will be publishing it myself - a long story not yet able to be completely told. This is providing some new challenges, but just discovered that a friend has done three books using exactly the same equipment and programs that I have, so that has given me new enthusiasm. Main problem is time - we have a small business which we are trying to sell/close, my wife (73) is not in good health at all, and we cannot afford much paid help, etc. It WILL happen - I'd like to say this year, but cannot promise anything. I'll be 80 late next year - hopefully by then I'll be re-retired and churning out drivel full-time.

Update -major computer crash this AM - tech will look at it Monday. Macs aren't supposed to do that. Everything (and I mean everything ) is potentially FUBAR until that situation is resolved. Fortunately, there is a 98% copy of the ms stored elsewhere. If that were not the case, there might not BE another book. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 04-30-2016 at 05:45. Reason: Transparency

ACK!! That "drivel" as your call it is the refined knowledge resulting from many years of scholarly study! Glad to hear you have a backup copy, but I hope your computer guy will be able to save everything and get you back up and running tomorrow. Keep us posted . . . I'm holding a spot on my bookshelf for that book.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Computer seems to be back up. Macs are pretty resilient. Slogging onwards!

Great news, Dick! Be sure to keep your backup copies current. Looking forward to future updates.