Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 ammo headstamps

Hybrid View

Central California at the southend of Yosemite

Default 45-70 ammo headstamps

I acquired some old 45-70 ammo in trade 20 plus years ago and am looking for info on approx dates of mfr. I have four unopened boxes of UMC 45-500 plus a fifth box with no top, all marked U. M. C. 45 govt. a few rounds marked U. M. C., 45-70 with an S and H centered between the other markings. Another round is marked W. R. A. Co, 45-70. It is slightly shorter than the others due to bullet size. I would appreciate any info you might share.

The "S" and "H" stamp indicates "solid head" cases (as opposed to the older, "balloon head" cases). --Jim

Many thanks Jim.

Dick, your UMC ctg's were likely mfg turn of the century between 1900-1910(ish). Same for the contract WRA, but possibly a bit later.
    Hope this helps, lee

Don't open any such unsealed boxes you may have! They are worth more to collectors than 20x one round.

Thanks Gentlemen, I saw on Gunbroker that one round of SH marked has bids of $36, however I also saw a full box that got no bids. I do enjoy trying to find info and history of firearms and ammo. It's amazing to find stuff older than me.

In all truth, I was speaking more from the standpoint of Frankford Arsenal boxes (one of my interests) from the 1860s through 1890s - those you really do not want to open. The situation may be a bit different on commercial boxes (even those from government contracts) around the turn of the century. Was that $36 ask or bid? If the latter, I'm sitting on a fortune! I need to thin my stash, and have a lot of loose (well, stuffed into web belts and McKeevers) such UMC and USC SH ammo. Of course one always must be careful to keep brass away from direct contact with leather!!!!!

That was a bid but there were others that had not had any bids. I thought that the 150 plus rounds I have would sure buy me a nice gun or pay for a couple of hunts. Nice fantasy at ant rate

Would love to see pictures of the rounds if either of you can post them. Always interested in seeing original rounds.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

DSC_0223.jpgDSC_0224.jpgDSC_0242.jpgDSC_0238.jpgDSC_0239.jpg The ammo box is wrapped in plastic wrap as a protection
    Last edited by Dick Craig; 04-28-2016 at 09:17.