Thread: A bit off topic

Default A bit off topic

I have a Star Modelo Super in 9X19. I was shooting it today and it quit. I dismantled it and found the barrel lug had split or torn. I'm in the process of trying to find a replacement. Any suggestions? If I had a heli arc welder I think I could repair it myself.

Called a few places this day. No joy!

I guess I'll get some hooks and make it a wall hanger.

I may have come up with a fix for this pistol. While the lower part is still attached ( I mashed it back in a vise), I think I can drill and tap it with a # 6-40 hex head cap screw, tightened down and then grind off the head. I'm aware it may crack somewhere else. But on the other hand it may work.

Have you tried this site? They seem to be sold out of barrels right now, but you may want to give them a call and see if they can get any.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...uper-42171.htm
    "In God We Trust"

Yes, that was one of the first I called. I have another pistol just like the broken one. If the fix works out I may just drill and tap that one also. A just in case measure.

I drilled and tapped the part that was broken. Carefully drilling so as not to get into the chamber area. I installed a 6X 40 socket head cap screw, tightened down and cut the head off. Sunday I'll test it and see if it holds up. If not I have a place in my display cabinet.

Tested the fix today. It held up for 2 magazines then the lug split again. My theory is that the metal was only surface hardened and the threads pulled out of the bottom part. I know the cap screw didn't fail. Oh well it was worth a try. Now it goes in the display cabinet.