Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slugging a bore

Just be sure to inspect and clean the shotgun barrel afterward. You might encounter a wad still in the barrel along with a bunch of unburnt powder that didn't take well to the semi-unconfined situation with no shot.

Will do. Thank you!
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

I have had good luck with my war time rifles with original barrels using the 150g Sierra Game King. This flat base is very uniform and while closed base seems to conform to the bore well. I would some day like to try some of the gas check lead alloy but at base loads with H4895 it preforms well 300 and 500 on steel and looks good on paper at 200 yards. Not being an advanced shooter or reloader I will take what I can with available materials.

Good Luck

Still my #4's and #4T's live on and love 174g SMK's and IMR 4064
    Last edited by MJ1; 05-16-2016 at 07:34.
    "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I've been suffering through a terrible spring cold for the last few days and haven't felt like doing anything, but I guess I'll provide an update on this rifle.

With the terrific guidance I've been receiving from everyone here (THANK YOU!! ), I did manage to slug the bore. I used a pellet of 00 Buck and everything went like clockwork. Remembering Parashooter's advice about 5-groove barrels, I was careful to measure it only at it's widest point. The maximum consistent measurement I could get was .317 in. Sounds pretty bad to me. I then took it to the range and shot some of my Federal Classic 150 gr cartridges through it. I fired three rounds and, as best as I could tell, they didn't keyhole, BUT . . .

After each shot, the spent case was solidly jammed in the chamber. It took A LOT of effort to get them to extract - the third one I actually had to wait until I was home to knock it out with a rod. Once removed, each case was pretty scratched up on the sides. That's never happened before. Then, when I was cleaning the rifle, I noticed that the front of the barrel appears to be rotated to the right by a few degrees. I'm sure that if it had been that way before I would have noticed.

Anyway, . . . the number of problems with this gun continues to rise. Too bad, because it was a passable shooter when I bought it and I don't think I've put more than about 50-60 rounds through it since then. Once I get over this cold and return to the world of the living, I plan to take it apart and give it a good looking over. Maybe something will show up. I'll let you know.

Thanks again to all of you for your helpful posts.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Looking back I didn't notice this bit of advice. When slugging an odd number grooved barrel, you can use the "slack jawed" method. Rotating the slug in a dial calipers without locking, watch the highest number showing on the dial. Getting an average usually gets you a good seat in the ballpark.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**