Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    how much of the case does that load fill up?
    As I'm sure you know that filling the case statement is for Blackpowder only NOT ,(in capital letters) for any smokeless powder

Be safe and read

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by mannparks View Post
    As I'm sure you know that filling the case statement is for Blackpowder only NOT ,(in capital letters) for any smokeless powder

Be safe and read

Charles
    Not to muddy the waters BUT the thing I like about the 60 grains WC872 is that it is smokeless and it does fill the case. No signs of pressure at all. The rifles seem to love it. I am looking forward to getting to the range and letting those loads stretch their legs out to 2 and 3 hundred yards.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

3. Default

besides black powder, I've been using 34 grs. of imr 3031 and a 405 gr. 458 cast bullet for a while now. but I usually stand the rifle up after loading a lower volume smokeless charge.
    MARK DAIUTE does all of the 60 gr. WC872 burn up or is there some left in the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    besides black powder, I've been using 34 grs. of imr 3031 and a 405 gr. 458 cast bullet for a while now. but I usually stand the rifle up after loading a lower volume smokeless charge.
    MARK DAIUTE does all of the 60 gr. WC872 burn up or is there some left in the barrel?
    There's just the tiniest little bit of bore trash.

I've learned to open the breechblcock and let the case bump up against my finger while in the chamber, then I extract the case by hand and dump the trash out. That way I get 99 percent of the bore trash without it getting into the chamber or barrel. After 10 rounds or so I have less that a half teaspoon of trash.

I call it trash because it is not really unburned grains. The powder is shiny and black when loaded and the trash left in the case is kind of a dull greenish brown.

To my way of thinking dealing with the bore trash is a small price to pay for what I get from the powder in convenience and cost savings.

Your mileage may vary.
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    There's just the tiniest little bit of bore trash.

I've learned to open the breechblcock and let the case bump up against my finger while in the chamber, then I extract the case by hand and dump the trash out. That way I get 99 percent of the bore trash without it getting into the chamber or barrel. After 10 rounds or so I have less that a half teaspoon of trash.

I call it trash because it is not really unburned grains. The powder is shiny and black when loaded and the trash left in the case is kind of a dull greenish brown.

To my way of thinking dealing with the bore trash is a small price to pay for what I get from the powder in convenience and cost savings.

Your mileage may vary.

thanks for the reply.

Northern Oklahoma, previously New Jersey then Southern California

I assume any 45-70 brass can be used with black powder for the TD. Is this a a safe assumption??

Any brand will work.

TK
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    After looking over some of my loads using smokeless powder I found:
    Pyrodex RS, same as ffg and 2f, 45 grains starting load.
    Reloader 7, 35 grains
    IMR SR 4759, 12-13 grains for a mild load at 1000 FPS
    Again, using BP, I use dacron for a filler.
    12-13 grains 4759 sounds fishy to me. I used 12-13 grains of Unique when I first started and it was a good load but you run the danger of a double charge. My favorite load is 22.5 grains 4759 and Lee's holly based 405 grain bullet. Works in rifle, cadet and presumably in Carbine. Still rund the chance of double charging, I am very carful with this. Keep us posted, OK?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    In the interest of total accuracy, service carbine load was 55gr. Wads were used by Frankford Arsenal to fill the void, which IS an ABSOLUTE must.

Many years ago, Cream of Wheat was a popular alternate filler used by handloaders.
    Would grits work in the South?
    Last edited by steelap; 10-31-2016 at 07:49.

All regional joking aside, how fine are dry grits? You want something at least as dense as the powder itself.