Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Trapdoor Reloading

Hello

I just bought a model 1877 carbine. I am looking at reloading my own ammo. Does anyone have some recipes for some MILD loads. I do not want to damage my investment.

Thank you

The correct bullet would be a soft lead 405 grain bullet. Black powder original load would be 60 grains of ff2 I believe. A fifty grain charge of BP should be mild. Just be sure when loading BP to leave NO air space between bullet and BP by using a filler of some sort where seating the bullet will compress the BP.

In the interest of total accuracy, service carbine load was 55gr. Wads were used by Frankford Arsenal to fill the void, which IS an ABSOLUTE must.

Many years ago, Cream of Wheat was a popular alternate filler used by handloaders.

After looking over some of my loads using smokeless powder I found:
    Pyrodex RS, same as ffg and 2f, 45 grains starting load.
    Reloader 7, 35 grains
    IMR SR 4759, 12-13 grains for a mild load at 1000 FPS
    Again, using BP, I use dacron for a filler.

SR4749 should be good. The "normal" load for the full length rifle is 22.5 gr., so you may want to check that 12-13 grains is OK from various sources. I always use fiber fill stuffing over the powder to keep the powder in place, though that may not be necessary.

Thanks for the reload information. I have another question the rear sight Buckhorn the ladder does not want to raise up is there some kind of "trick to it"

Uh, 4 pound lead mallet? 8-/

Thanks Uncle Tom, the mallet did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by bobgar View Post
    Hello

I just bought a model 1877 carbine. I am looking at reloading my own ammo. Does anyone have some recipes for some MILD loads. I do not want to damage my investment.

Thank you
    If you don't want to damage your investment, shoot only black powder loads, it is what it was designed for. As Dick said, make sure the case is full and if you use less than a full case of powder, make up the difference with a spacer. Black powder and air space do not play well together.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

10. Default

Black powder only in mine. Something very satisfying about that big cloud of white smoke. The complications of black powder cleaning are "greatly exaggerated". I use magnum rifle primers.
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 04-24-2016 at 02:37.